Just the climate makes you want to live here

La Fortuna Travel Blog

I had very high expectations of Arenal and La Fortuna. The mere idea that this town laid in the skirts of an active volcano makes a person think that these people live Costa Rica's motto: Pura Vida.

The town is lovely and the people extremely friendly. While La Fortuna has gringonised (most people speak and understand english, prices are in dollars, and is no longer a 'cheap' place to visit) I feel that the people who live there still live with a small town vibe. In the mornings you will see the kids in their uniforms on their way to school, people on bikes on their way to work, and your random tourist eating breakfast. Residents will talk to you about anything in their mind if you let them. I had a great conversation with a taxi cab driver about the good typical restaurants in town (he told me to go to another town!) and talked about the telenovela (soap opera) to the girls at the hostel. Everyone is laid back and friendly.... true pura vida.

Asides from the people, La Fortuna is THE place to do adventure travel. You have everything available to you: waterfalls, whitewater rafting, horse back ridding, cayonning, canopy tours, bungee jump, jungles, hanging bridges, hot springs, and most important of all.... ARENAL. Here is a place that can give you all thrills that a man can have at a fraction of the cost. The thrills of all these activities overpowers all of your senses but then you reach a point where you just stop... breathe... and realize that you are amongst the tall trees, surrounded by all sorts of animals, and listening to the true sound of nature. Is a place where the clouds meet the landscape and one is just lucky to be in the middle of the action.

We went right at the beginning of the rainy season. We were lucky that the rain did not stopped any of our activities but I could see how their torrential rains can put a stop into any town activity. Every night it started raining at about 8pm and it didn't ceased until early morning. For 10 hours it rained as if Arenal was punishing La Fortuna for defying its existence in the skirts of this volcano. Thunder roared the streets for hours, water drops pounded on the rooftops of houses, and I could only expect the worst the next morning.

Morning arrived...and my expectations were wrong. The streets were clear of debris, residents were once again in their bikes and kids on their way to school as if nothing had happened. I guess people here are used to the crazy weather of Arenal.

Our days in La Fortuna were hectic but worth it. The sun was shinning during the day, the moisture never surrendered, and the nights were filled with rain and thunder. La Fortuna is a great town to know, explore and live. I highly recommended to any type of traveler.
gserrado says:
Eric: You must visit the mountain side of Costa Rica. The beaches are great... but only here you will find over 9 active volcanoes in a country the size of west virginia.
gserrado says:
Thanks. I realized in this trip that I want to do this as career: analyze places, review restaurants, and just try to get the feel of the town from a backpacker perspective.
dougmi says:
Wonderful description! Just added it to my list. Thanks for writing that!
Doug
La Fortuna Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
not your backpacker restaurant
While the food was very good, this is not a restaurant for budget travelers. This is more of a restaurant for those tourist that stay in the fancy hot… read entire review
La Fortuna General Tips & Advice review
Visa ATM
Banco Popular is one of the many banks in La Fortuna. This bank is located at the beginning La Fortuna, about a block away from the school. Transactio… read entire review
La Fortuna General Tips & Advice review
Grocery Store
Super Cristian Commercial is one of the many food/supplies market in La Fortuna. Centrally located on main street, this market is located about two bl… read entire review
La Fortuna Hostels review
Great hostel!
I do know that there are people out there who are afraid to stay in a cheap hostel...but this has been one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. … read entire review
La Fortuna Sights & Attractions review
GREAT place to canopy
There are many choices were tourist can zip-line through the forrest. We had our mind set on another canopy company but Martha ,the lady at Gringo Pet… read entire review
La Fortuna