Minnesota Twins Baseball

Minneapolis Travel Blog

Inside the Metrodome

The quest to visit all Major League Baseball stadiums has continued in 2009.  I tried to visit the Metrodome last year but it never did work out.    This year is different because it is the Twins final year at the Metrodome, so I had to visit!  I looked at the schedule and found a day game that would work.  Going out and back the same day saves on costs, especially lodging!

The game was the Minnesota Twins against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

My buddy and I flew from Indianapolis to Minneapolis on June 18, aboard Northwest 1076 which was an A-319 aircraft.   I sat in seat 6B for the 1 hour and 20 minute flight to MSP.  When we arrived, we rode the light rail to downtown Minneapolis and walked around a bit.

Twins baseball
  I have been here many times so I did not really have to see much except for the game.  At about 11am, we went to the Metrodome.  We purchased the cheap seats which are $8 and yes they are actually called the cheap seats.  They are on the upper level of the stadium and in the outfield area, between the foul poles.  We sat in the fourth row, on the 3rd base side.  Our flight home was at about 4:30.  We figured that we would need to leave the stadium by 3pm in order to make it.  With that in mind, we were hoping for a fast game!  We got our wish!  The game started off real quick and after an hour the game was half over.  The twins had a two to zero lead through five innings of play and were dominating the Pirates.
Metrodome
  Minnesota added a run in the sixth inning and two more in the eighth to make it 5 to 0 Twins.  Pittsburgh finally was able to get a little rally in the ninth inning but it was too little and too late.  They were only able to score a run and so the fianl score was Minnesota Twins-5, and the Pittsburgh Pirates-1

The game only took 2 hours and 6 minutes to play which is very quick for a baseball game.  We left the Metrodome for the light rail station right outside.  When we saw the queue for the train, we wished we had left early.  It was still only 2:30, so we had plenty of time but there were about a thousand people waiting for the train.  To add to it, it was hot and humid.  We decided to walk down to the next station, which was about a half mile down the tracks.

Minneapolis skyline
  It was a good idea since there was pretty much nobody there.  The only drawback was that the train was packed like sardines with all of the baseball fans.  We got on and it was a packed ride for the whole 20 minutes to MSP airport.  It was a relief to make it into the nice air conditioned airport!  We found out that we hurried for nothing.  Our inbound flight was from Chicago and was delayed so naturally, we were delayed too.  The 4:38 flight was showing a 5:19 departure.  It ended up leaving at about that time and was a quick and smooth flight back to Indy.  We were on Northwest 548, a DC-9 aircraft.  I had seat 5B and I slept the whole way back.  We were back in Indianapolis a little past 8pm.
Countdown to outdoor baseball

My take on the Metrodome is that it was not too bad.  A lot of true baseball fans prefer outdoor ballgames but to me it does not matter.  It is a comfortable setting indoors, especially in the heat or cold.  The game also cannot be rained out in the dome as it would be outside.  The problem with the Metrodome is that it is not intimate.  You don't really feel close to the action.  I think it would be better at a Minnesota Vikings football game.  The food outlets were plentiful and not too expensive.  They really packed the place for a Thursday afternoon too.  It was at least 3/4 full at this game.

Well, this was my 21st baseball stadium visit.  I still need Atlanta, Florida, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto, St Louis, both new stadiums in New York, Wrigley in Chicago, Milwaukee, and the new San Diego stadium.

freak0ut says:
I hope to dedicate a summer to baseball related travel one year. Let me know when you make it to MKE!
Posted on: Sep 13, 2009
wanderinggoddess says:
this is new. stadium quests...hmmm, hope to read more of this. cheers!
Posted on: Jun 29, 2009
williamsworld says:
Texas Rangers? I will buy the ticket.
Posted on: Jun 20, 2009