the REAL deal

Madrid Travel Blog

What little I know of Real Madrid is of their 'Galaticos' days, before Ronaldo was called El Gordo, Zidane, Figo, Roberto Carlos, Raul, Casillas ruled the fields and of course, the all too popular David Beckham just made his Spanish debut.

Real Mardrid has its fair share of fans in Malaysia, my buddies among them. I was repeatedly told that it would be a sacrilege not to visit the Santiago Bernabeu stadium and bring home photos and souverneirs. So, there I went.

Got there quite early that morning and found a few busload of people queueing to buy tickets. I joined the line. A ticket for the tour cost 15 euros. Hmmmmm... pretty expensive.

But suprisingly, I find the tour quite interesting. You start off in this museum sort of - wall of history, wall of fame, trophy room.

The Galaticos
There were plenty to look at. Then on to the field. Well not ON the field, but around the field. A designated seating area, the players' 'bench'. I saw in a documentary once that not just anybody can step onto the field. Can't just go roll around or run around in the field. You need permission to step in. I mean, they do treat it as a sacred ground. I have no idea if this is the same for other big clubs' stadium elsewhere. In Malaysia, the same stadium would be use for sports meet, conserts, social events... full utililsation.

Then, into the changing room and press room. I didn't realise I spent almost 2 hours in there.

Anyhew, got souverneirs for the Real Madrid's fansters at home. Expensive but I know they would shower me with love for years to come.

Euro 15 to get in.
Euro 15 to get in.
Raul Gonzales, Capitan
Raul Gonzales, Capitan
Casillas, goalie
Casillas, goalie
trophy room
trophy room
who came up with the idea of givin…
who came up with the idea of givi…