Istiklal Cad. the 24/7 street

Istanbul Travel Blog

Blue Mosque

In the First week of my trip, I stayed in a hotel in Taksim square, actualy it happened that the day I arrived was the final of Turkish soccer league championship, and Besiktas ( one of the most famous Turkish soccer teams) won the Championship, that night I guess no one slept in Taksim, even in Istanbul, or could be in whole Turkey.. people were celebrating the victory until early moring..  the celebration continues for a few more days, day and night, however, subdued compared to that night, obviously I had been forced to become a Besiktas fan that night.

I thought I am not a stranger to Turkey, since I made many visits to Istanbul & other parts before, I assumed that Istiklal Cad.

Topkapi
crowd attributed to the victory of that night, however, I discovered that Istiklal Cad. is a 24/7 street, it sleeps as late as 1-2 am during the week days, while upto 4-5 am in weekends, shops resume their work by 8-9 am.. during the weekends the crowd become so intense whereby walking somtimes become really difficult ...frankly speaking after being in quite Bahrain for a while, this was 180 degree change to me, which I was in need for.

In Istiklal Cad. one can find all type of returants, cafe's and pubs.. also a famous fish market and resturants are there.. I recommend to NOT MISS eating dinner there once in your trip. at the end of Istiklal Cad. Galata tower , where a panoramic view up there of Bosphorus and surrounding area.

Aya Sophia

the remaining days, I moved to a service appartment,  commonly, I prefer to stay in a falt than a hotel for long period travels, so one can enjoy a spacious space relative to hotel rooms, also typically they are equipped with home appliances that one may need

Bosphorus & other sightseeing

Generaly I enjoy all kind of water, oceans, seas, rivers, however, Bosphorus view is somthing can remain in the memory for long long time, I had two tours in there, one in the moring and another at night, both are magnificent, and very much recommended.

I completed my visit to the major three, TopKapi palace, Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia, in 2 days. It was my first time for TopKapi, but not the last one for sure, some sections were closed this time, I hope to find them open by next visit.

Bosphorus

I set one full day for Dolmabahci palace along with Ortakoy, this amazing palace was used generation after generation until now, I have been told that just recently Obama reception has been held in the Grand Ceremony Hall in the palace. unfortunately no cameras were allowed inside to take some shots.

Ortakoy is the place where one can take bosphorus tour, meanwhile, many returants, pubs and Cafe' are there, it has its own  lovely atmosphere. nearby are the most famous, and prestigous night clubs in Istanbul, Reına and Sortıe, each has its own boats ready to pick customers from either sides of Bosphorus, as an extra service .

Turkish people are so friendly , however, if it happens that one turn his back to you while you are talking to him, or show some nervousness  this is because he couldn't understand your language to help you, not because he doesn,t want to help, nevertheless, he will do his best by asking others, so he can eventually help you.

main gate of dolmabahca
obviously, knowing some turkish words will make your travel much smoother.

I managed to hook up in a day trip to Bursa, the green Bursa, we took the bus from istanbul to city on the asian side, called PENDIK as far as I remember, from there, we had the ferry( boat) to Yalova then the bus to Bursa.. both sides on our way from Yalova  to bursa are green, Bursa is famous of their Olives and manufactures..we visited the green mosque, the grand mosque, and the 600 years tree. unfortunately, the telefrık was down for renovation. for lunch we had the famous Iskander Kebap.

I was so lucky, as the 37 music festival in Istanbul brought many famous bands and activities into the city during my stay.

Ortakoy night
I attended some concerts , such as Kodo concert, that held in an open air theater, Kodo is the world famous Japanese drum band, they traveled to more than 40 countries performing the traditional Japanese drum rhythm. another concert I attended was the one for the legend Cello player Han-ah Chang. On the other hand, many art, cultural, and musical activities were available every week.

I enjoyed every minute there, and end up with wealth of Turkish songs, where the most I do like is " Istanbul Istanbul for SEZEN AKSU"

RH122 says:
I love Istanbul. Been there twice but never enough. :)
Posted on: Jul 19, 2009
Bluetraveler says:
Ah Istanbul... I love this song.. I really really missed my mysterious, living, blue city :((
And of course my hometown Green Bursa...
Even though I found some similar, helpful and very welcoming people in South America (especially in Colombia), I couldn't find the exactly the same spirit :((
Well, hope you will do many visits to Turkey and enjoy all of them :))
Take Care..
Posted on: Jul 04, 2009
terry7878 says:
Hi Mel,

welcome to TB, yes Besiktas is the biggest for sure.. Siyah/ Beyaz kept repeated everywhere for a week or so..while for Istanbul, I just fell in love with it long time ago, and everytime I go there I hate to leave it..
I hope you are doing fine in Montreal,

All the best, and safe travel
Posted on: Jun 26, 2009
Kodo, Japanese drum band
Kodo, Japanese drum band
on our way to yalova
on our way to yalova
on our way back from  Yalova
on our way back from Yalova
Bursa
Bosphorus at night
Bosphorus at night
Aya Shopia
Aya Shopia
Bahca ( garden) of Dolmabahca pala…
Bahca ( garden) of Dolmabahca pal…
Dolamabahca palace