Geldrop Travel Blog

Castle Geldrop

I live in my wonderfull city 's-Hertogenbosch since I was a student and I am a really city man. In the city it all happens is my idea. But in my holiday I was one day ' back'  in Geldrop, the little village I was born. Despite a family visit I also wanted to see the new Zoo Garden which is in the Geldrop - Mierlo congegration. This Zoo Garden has since this year 2 Siberian Tigers. The Tiger is by far my favorit animal, and I now there are only 400 Siberian Tigers left, so I had to see them Unfortunately the weather had not his best day. It was constantly raining. But that's OK, I planned this trip and I will defenitely have more chances to see it more.

First the village Geldrop.

Siberian Tiger
It has not changed much over the years I think; still small, not so much to do, but still also quite beautifull. That is because it is very old. The exact age of Geldrop isn't known. Through the years, several archaeological finds were made which testify to prehistoric occupants. Where over 10.000 years ago reindeer hunters placed their tents, the finds on the Geldrops grounds included, among other things, two stones with engraving. On one of them a reindeer horn was represented, on the other one a dancing little girl. Also finds of small settlements from the New Stone Age (about 3000 BC) were found in Geldrop. Finds from the Roman Period and the early Middle Ages have been found in the Geldrop districs. In the autumn of 1989, archaeological diggings at the nearby 't Zand Cemetery found four settlements from the late Roman Period and the Middle Ages: a period which covers the years between 350 and 1225 AD.
Geldrop

The name Geldrop comes from the year 1296 and means " Gelders dorp". Originally it was a village in the Middle of the state of Brabant, but belonged to the state of Gelre (now Gelderland). So it was originally a enclave. One of the sightseeings for me is the Castle near the middle of the village. Castle Geldrop dates from 1616, even as a young kid I liked to see it. Also a thing which cannot be missed is the Sint Brigidachurch right in the middle. A big catholic church dating from 1891, and alltough I am not baptised there (my baptise church the little Maria Magdalena church in north Geldrop does not excist any more) I still like the shape of this church. But it does not beat our Sint Jan church here in Den Bosch.

Castle Geldrop
A made some photographs of some other things in the village: the old factory Van Den Heuvel (from 1854), the Sint Vincentiusbuilding (from 1899) and the old city hall. Because of the bad weather I did not go to the old windmill, the church in Hoog Geldrop and the Station.

It was time to visit the Zoo. The Zoo ' Het Dierenrijk'  is new, first it had all Animals only from Europe. But me as a Tiger fan it was not interesting enough to visit it. Now they led Europe go and introduced new animals like Eliphants, Monkees and 2 Siberian Tigers. I still have to dream to see all species (the Bengal Tiger, the Indochines Tiger, the Malayan Tiger, the South China Tiger, the Siberian Tiger and the Sumatran Tiger), and 2 new Siberain Tigers are now in this Zoo. Because only 400 of these Tigers are left I was very happy they were outside so I could see these magnificient animals and photograph them. I also loved the 2 Lynxes in the Zoo. There also were wild cats, brown bears, black bears, foxes, eliphants, icebears. The Zoo is devided in 7 parts (agricultural, swamp, old forest, alps, high north, beach & see, mediterran south).

gejah says:
you did your job well!!!
Posted on: Aug 10, 2009
williamsworld says:
Very nice. I wish more people would do this.
Posted on: Jun 19, 2009
iodized_96 says:
great blog and nice photos
Posted on: Jun 18, 2009