Baking on Boat - Journey by boat Phnom Penh - Siem Reap

Cambodia Travel Blog

Woke up early to catch the 7am boat ride to Siem Reap. We went to the reception to check out around 6am and woke up the poor chap who was napping behind the counter. We told him that we wanted to catch the early boat. He looked nervous, asked us to wait for a few minutes and rushed out of the hotel. 3 minutes later, he rushed in with another guy in tow, asked us to wait awhile longer and they both disappered to the kitchen. My companion looked at me, I shrugged, didn't know what's going on. But decided to wait as we had loads of time to spare.

10 minutes later, they appeared with packed meals (fried rice) and drinks. Apparently, they said we were entitled to our complementary breakfast and were worried we might be travelling on an empty stomach. How sweet of them.

(We stayed at Puncak Hotel aka Galaxy Hotel. For USD20 a night, we got a room with 2 queen-sized bed, clean, bath, aircond, cable TV with English channels. Food at the restaurant was good, a variety to choose from).

BOAT RIDE : At USD25, it was steep but decided to give it a go. After all, Tonle Sap Lake is the biggest lake in South East Asia.

We got seats in the boat but chose to sit on the roof. They journey took 5 hours. The view was nice for the first 3 hours as we passed villages and fields. But once we hit the lake, it was a dull 2 hours journey across with nothing but water to see. Decided to take a nap, but it was a pretty hot day. Good time to get a tan for those who needed it.

We left our food ration on our (numbered) seats and couldn't find them when we were hungry.

So, we had to starve the whole 5 hours. Only after we reached our destination, we found the food a few seats behind (our fault, we put them on the wrong seats), everything left untouched. I was suprised, in another place, dare I say even in my own country, it would've been gone.

Took a tuk-tuk into town, which was 16 kilometers away from the jetty, at only USD 1. I figured they would probably overcharge us the next day (we agreed to us them for our temple tour).

ACCOMMODATION IN SIEM REAP : We decided to stay at Bopha Angkor - USD50 a night, for a nicely decorated room, bath, cable TV, fan & aircond, king size bed. However, there was no phone in the room, so anytime you need room service, you had to walk out to the reception desk. Frankly, I preferred the room at Puncak Hotel, paying an extra USD30 didn't mean better services.