Phnom Penh - Day 1

Phnom Penh Travel Blog

The Vietnamese visa expires today so on to Cambodia it is, bit of a travel day really, 9 hours on the bus......  I've been reading a lot about Cambodia's recent past with the Khmer Rouge, Pol Pot, Killing Fields and so on so I'm kind of curious to meet the people given that it's only a generation later really.  Quite a disturbing period if you don't know much about it, basically Pol Pot was trying to turn Cambodia in to a land ruled by the peasants and farmers (revert to year zero).  So pretty much anyone with any kind of education, or sometimes just for wearing glasses, was executed.   More to come once I'm there...

The border crossing took a lot longer than I thought it would (about an hour) and they try a nice little scam where they ask you for your vacinnation certificate and charge you a dollar if you don't have it.  I had mine handy anyway, but I'm pretty sure there's no valid reason for them to do this.  After that myself and a Japanese guy did a walk around the area trying to figure out which bus we're meant to take, they don't give you a whole lot of instruction, manged to pick the right one fortunately :)

Not a lot to the day once getting in to Phnom Penh, about a kilometre hike to find Sky Park guesthouse (recommended by Nick and Lindsey in Lao, cheers for that one :) ) then hunt for an ATM since I don't actually have any money at this point.  You gradually learn to read between the lines on people's answers as you go, so when you ask the money changer if there is an ATM in this direction, and 2 people simultaneously say "we don't know" (i.e. get money out here instead) then it's a fair bit you'll find your ATM ;)

Phnom Penh