Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai Travel Blog

The view from the back of a sawngthaew

Bit of a travel day today, buses leave frequently to Chiang Rai so got a sawngthaew (hailed kindly by the lady who served me lunch) to the Arcade bus station and caught the VIP air-con bus to Chiang Rai.  I'm pretty sure there is a local price and a farang price so I'll have to ask a local what they pay next time.  They play this really loud VCD movie in the bus, but it constantly skips so music was the winner

As soon as you go north from Chiang Mai the countryside just gets more and more spectacular and you feel like you're starting to see the true Thailand. It was a bit surreal watching a monk decked out in orange on the other side of the bus laughing along to the movie in this air-con bus.

Night market entertainment
  Absolutley no reasons why he can't, it's just not how I normally picture monks :)

It was a 3 hour bus trip, and once I got there the tourist office upstairs in the bus terminal was closed so I had to sor tsome stuff out for mysel.  I found myself a Tuk-tuk and made my way to Ben's guesthouse which is 10-15 mins from the centre of Chiang Rai but is a great place to stay at.  After a few chats at reception I had organised with a a Slovenian/Czech couple (Sonya/Jaan) to do a one day tour with our guesthouse manager Adi the following day.

After this I headed back in to town walking the 10-15 minutes towards the night market (which had been the bus station 2 hours ago!). Chiang Rai has a great little night market, this evening I only found the 'touristy' square but was to learn that there is also an area where the locals eat.  Great food again!! At the 'touristy' square you just sit down and the food and beer was delivered, I decided to give dragonfruit a go, it was just ok I'd say, quite bland and nothing to write home about (although I guess I just did...so just ignore that :) )

The view from the back of a sawngt…
The view from the back of a sawng…
Chiang Rai