Start trip - Get my butt from Canberra to Chang Mai!

Bangkok Travel Blog

OK so technically I started in Canberra, Australia, but the map looks better if I just make this Bangkok ;)  I eased in to things with a 3 hour ride bus from Canberra where I had counted down the hours with my backpack contents spread across the pool table.  It's quite amazing how much you can cram in to that thing on your back!

Next stage of Operation 'Get to Thailand' was a 9 hour flight to Bangkok, for which I was very grateful to have an exit row seat :) Sat next to a nice Irish guy called Nigel who had been all over the place and recommended the Royal gueshouse in Chiang Mai, one to note down.  I described what I was planning with a 3 day hiking tour around there and he said I'd be looking at the 1300-1700 baht range for a 3 day tour, so we'll see if he's right. Also chatted away to Michael as well who was a bit older and was about to start camping through Thailand indefinitely then on to Europe, maybe I'll catch up with him for the World Cup in Germany in a couple of months, we'll see....

I arrived at Bangkok airport just after midnight, and unfortunately the domestic terminal is closed until 4 am.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out you could walk there so there wasn't going to be any late night public transport confusion at least.  there's this tunnel that is about 500m long between the two terminals (note that if you read this after 2006, Bangkok probably has a different airport since it's about to open :) )

So with a few hours to spare, it was time to hunt down a comfortable part of the airport to nap in! yes, that's right, it was only less than half a day in to my trip and I was already sleeping on an airport terminal floor :)  Bedded down in a little hall area where about 3 other backpackers were doing the same, pretty close to the internet cafe.

I stumbled to the domestic terminal where I checked in with Thai Air Asia.  Finally I was heading for Chaing Mai, and made it to the Pagoda Inn (43 Chang Mai Road).  It was an ok hostel with a little outdoor setting around ponds between all the rooms.  So damn hot though, I just lay under the fan for a few minutes to adjust, I can tell my body is going to do a lot of sweating in the next month and a half!  I think next time I might pay the extra 150 Baht for an air con room.  (Room with fan 250 Baht of about $US6.5, room with air con about 400 Baht or $10 US).

Well I made it, the journey has officially begun!!

photo by: halilee