Phi Phi... sweet and sour.

Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

Before heading home to Malaysia, I decided to go to Phi Phi Island. Took a ferry direct from Ko Lanta to Ko Phi Phi. This was my 3rd trip there. Didn't really liked it the 1st 2 times, but I decided to check whether some people I met on my earlier trips were still operating on the island after tsunami.

The island was still bustling with people. Busy, busy, busy... tatoo parlours, tour operators, massages, pubs, restaurants of various cuisine, shops selling t-shirts, local trinkets, tomoi (kick-boxing) ring... so much activities.

We managed to get a room, at a steep price of course. The place I stayed at previously is now a big resort, a Malaysian guy who teached at the island's only school and sang at a pub at night is also no longer there.

We took a boat to Maya Beach. As before, it was full of boat traffic. Boats everywhere, big and small. We went back to Phi Phi and found a stretch of beach, a lot quieter though there were many people around. Rented 2 chairs and ordered coconut drinks, we were set for the day.

Phi Phi is great for party-goers, it's a lot of fun when I first came here. But it has lost its charms to me. Or maybe at 33, I was already too old for it. I like quiet beaches, with beautiful pristine waters. For this trip, Ko Lanta was definitely the highlight.

Reconstruction on Phi Phi