Whale Watching and Days in Vancouver

Vancouver Travel Blog

Dressed up for Whale watching
I was so excited about going whale watching today and I've wanted to see Orcas (Killer Whales) for years.  Actually, Orcas are not whales at all, but a type of dolphin.  Nore are they ferocious killers, rather they are playful, social animals.

The boat (a RIB type speed boat) departed from Lulu Island so I cycled from the youth hostel, which took just over an hour.  The weather was perfect with calm seas and lots of sun.  We saw about 15 Orcas in total.  They are not quite as playful as some dolphins I have seen, such as in the Azores where they would perform endless acrobatics out of the water.  The Orcas tended to shallow jump out of the water and then on occasion they would jump straight out of the water head first or do a cartwheel, which was amazing to watch.
Orca

We also saw loads of seals and a bald eagle.  There was also a privately owned island where we saw different types of deer.  These had been brought to the island buy the owners in an attempt to attract hunters to the island, who would of course pay to hunt.  Unfortunately for the owners (and fortunately for the deer) the only people that came to the island were protesters.  Even though the owners tried to round up all the deer they were unsuccessful as the deer now roam the island freely, where they have no predators.

This was my last day in Vancouver as tomorrow I begin my ride south to Mexico (after tackling the Grouse Grind).  I will primarily be using this blog so anyone interested can follow me there.
Bald Eagle
Bald Eagle
Bridge to North Vancouver
Bridge to North Vancouver
Stanley Park
View from Capilano Suspension Brid…
View from Capilano Suspension Bri…
Stop!
Stop!
Vancouver Sights & Attractions review
Vancouver Whale Watch
Going whale watching was one of the highlights of my time in North America. This company operates just south of Vancouver International Airport. I… read entire review
Vancouver Sights & Attractions review
Capilano Suspension Bridge
This attraction is located to the north of Vancouver. There are plenty of buses that will take you here. The bridge is 70m high and 137m long. Wh… read entire review
Vancouver