Vancouver to Bellingham

Entering The United States of America

Ride Time: 4h 0m 48s
Distance:  60.8 miles
Ave. Speed:  15.1mph

I didn’t set off until 2:15 so I decided to try and reach Bellingham, about 20 miles short of my original destination, Mt. Vernon.

It was really slow going out of Vancouver due to heavy traffic and endless sets of traffic lights.  I’d averaged less than 10mph for the first hour and that’s not including all the time spent at traffic lights (that’s slow by the way – slowest average on LEJOG was about 14mph).

As I was nearing the US boarder the roads looked nothing like the map I had so I just kept heading south and following signs to the boarder.  It took about 10 minutes to convince the boarder police I wasn’t smuggling drugs or doing anything else I shouldn’t be.  I was now on Interstate 5, which is about the size of a UK motorway but has a big hard shoulder that bikes are allowed to use.  As it was very fast going I decided to stay on it and I was cruising at 20mph+ for the rest of the day.  I stopped about 10 miles south of the US boarder to sample the local cuisine -a Subway.

I got to Bellingham just before 7 and could have easily done another couple of hours but I was running out of daylight so I checked into a motel.

I’m a little disappointed I didn’t reach my original destination but I should make up the mileage tomorrow.

Entering The United States of Amer…
Entering The United States of Ame…
My motel room in Bellingham