Ukiah to San Francisco

San Francisco Travel Blog

- Distance: 115 miles
- Cycling Time: 7h 27m 21s
- Average Speed: 15.42mph

Expecting more severe heat today I set off as soon as it got light, just before 7am and was making good progress to San Francisco following a small road that ran parallel to 101. By lunch I had had two punctures then a third after lunch. As I was inflating this last one my pump broke although thankfully I had just enough air in the tire to contine. Another puncture would have ended the day though.

I arrived in a foggy San Francisco after crossing a very Golden Gate bridge, from which I could see nothing. The youth hostel I planned to stay in was full so I had to go all the way across town to another one I had (thankfully) marked on my map.
Coit Tower

I ended up staying two days in San Francisco. I did not really want to do this as I was a little worried my legs would protest when I started cycling again - I find it is easier to just keep going rather than stopping too often as your body can't get into a routine. However, the first day I was ill and spent most of the day in bed. I had a Thai curry the night before with prawns and squid so I have a feeling it may have been that.

I felt better the second day so I got more inner tubes, a new pump, took a walk along Fishermans Warf and a tour bus around the Golden Gate bridge area, which was foggy again. I also booked youth hostels for the remainder of the trip (except tomorrow nights) as I felt I wanted a bit more structure for the final week. I also couldn't afford more motels.
Palace of Fine Arts
Palace of Fine Arts
Golden Gate bridge in fog
Golden Gate bridge in fog
War graves
War graves
San Francisco Hostels review
HI San Francisco
This is a friendly hostel with a free pancake breakfast. The hostel is located in the downtown area just one block away from Union Square. There are p… read entire review