Santa Barbara to Los Angles

Los Angeles Travel Blog

- Distance: 102.3 miles
- Cycling Time: 6h 7m 54s
- Average Speed: 16.6mph

I had the best days cycling so far today. The ACA provides no elevation profiles for the section of the route between Santa Barbara and Mexico and I now see why. It was pancake plat all day with the exception of a few small hills around Malibu. I also had a strong tailwind, warm sun all day and I was cycling right next to the beach all day so I really enjoyed the scenery. It got very busy going through Malibu (I had been warned of this) and took a lot of concentration to avoid erratic drivers and people opening car doors without looking.

I met some racing cyclists just outside LA so I put in the effort to stay in their draft for a few fast miles. It was nice to go at race pace for a change. Once in LA there was a bike path that ran through the beach, which I found a bit of a novelty, although the patches of sand on some corners made me a little nervous.

It was dark by the time I got to the youth hostel, which was huge. Unfortunately the youth hostel was a 45 minute ride inland, so I would have to do the reverse of this the next day to get back to the coast.
tridantri says:
From Santa Barbara I went followed Route 1 almost all the way to LA. There were occasions when I had to come off it and follow smaller roads though. I followed the American Cycling Association route - google it for the maps.

This section is very flat but I would recommend doing the route north to south. Go the other way and you're likely to be riding into a strong headwind all the way.

I've got more detail about my ride on my website at http://www.tridantri.co.uk/Expeditions/Canada2Mexico/C2M.htm

It's a great ride so go for it!!!
Posted on: Jan 04, 2010
chuy90023 says:

What roads did you take from LA to Santa Barbara, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm interested in doing this ride in the spring, perhaps camping out on the beach halfway there, but I have no idea where to begin researching how to do it.

Posted on: Jan 03, 2010
Pelican
Pelican
Los Angeles Hostels review
Hostel California
This hostel is located just inland of Venice beach, which takes about 20 minutes to walk to. You can either walk straight down the main road to the b… read entire review
Los Angeles Hostels review
Adventurer Youth Hostel
The adventurer hotel and hostel is huge! It is not situated in a great place and the only thing it is near is the airport (LAX). So, if you are inte… read entire review