San Francisco to Marina

Marina Travel Blog

- Distance: 118.4 miles
- Cycling Time: 7h 38m 32s
- Average Speed: 15.49mph

As expected my legs refused to cooperate at the start of the day and once again San Francisco was in fog. I was back following the ACA route today. It took a while to clear the boundaries of San Francisco but it was nowhere near as bad as getting out of Seattle and was actually quite pleasant once I got onto the coast.

There was a brief period during the day when the fog cleared but it soon returned and reduced visability to about 100m for most of the day. I found this made cycling quite difficult as there is nothing to focus on. You can't see the road ahead so you have no idea what is coming (hills, long flats etc.) and there is nothing to look at to distract you from the hours in the saddle.

The planned destination today was Santa Cruz but this was a youth hostel I had been unable to book online and when I arrived it was full. I just carried on cycling as I still had plenty of daylight left and motel prices around here would have been well outside my price range. I very nearly reached tomorrows destination, Monterey, but I was ten miles short when it got dark. Combined with the thick fog I decided it would have been unsafe to continue so I checked into a Motel in Maria.
photo by: vagabombshell