LA to San Diego

Day 20 (30th Sep) Los Angles, CA to San Diego, CA
- Distance: 143.4 miles
- Cycling Time: 9h 6m 57s
- Average Speed: 15.7mph

I actually thought today was going to be about 95 miles but obviously I made an error whilst planning the route... Thankfully I realised this last night so I set of early. I did not enjoy the ride out of LA. Not because of heavy traffic but because the ACA route is hard to follow and I had to keep stopping to make sure I was going the right way. It looks simple enough, just follow the bike path along the beach then turn off down a specific road. The problem was I could not see the road names from the bike path and there were not the usual bike route signs so I ended up missing the turning.
Yum
It took me a while to get back on the right road and then the route zig zaged out of LA. It would have been far easier to just get on route 1 from the start and the ACA route joins this just outside of LA anyway.

Once out of LA I enjoyed the cycling and with a strong tailwind I made good progress. Nearing San Diego I passed through the US Marine Corps reservation, Camp Pendleton. I got stopped by the guard at the entrance who told me I had to cover my chest. I had broken the zip on my jersey a few days ago so it was stuck open. This meant I had to put another top on over my jersey which made for a few hot miles. It was strange being passed by armoured vehicles and seeing warning signs for detonation fields and tank crossings. The most dangerous thing that usually crosses the road where I ride is a tractor!

Just outside San Diego I could see two racing cyclists climbing what I was told to be a 1.5 mile hill. For some reason I decided I wanted to catch them but had to put in a huge effort given I was carrying all my gear I would have caught them had the hill been 100m longer, or I hadn't already cycled 120 miles... The effort left me very tired for the last 20 miles and I eventually found the youth hostel in the dark, shortly after nearly ending up in the Pacific Ocean when I didn't see a 90° turn in the bike path that ran along the harbour front.

I can't believe I cycled 143 miles today after nearly three weeks on the road but I guess we can always do more than we think.
Building in San Diego
Elephant at San Diego Zoo
Elephant at San Diego Zoo
Tiger at San Diego Zoo
Tiger at San Diego Zoo
Longest day on the bike ever (LA -…
Longest day on the bike ever (LA …
San Diego Sights & Attractions review
San Diego Zoo
I had heard that San Diego zoo was one of the best in the world so I had high hopes. I decided to walk there from downtown San Diego, which took about… read entire review
San Diego Hostels review
HI San Diego
This hostel is ideally located in the Gaslamp Quarter in Downtown San Diego, which is the party area of the city. There was a lot of noise from the s… read entire review
San Diego