Astoria to Pacific City

Pacific City Travel Blog

- Distance: 91.6 miles
- Cycling Time: 6h 12m 26s
- Average Speed: 14.76mph

In the morning I took a walk up to Astoria column, which was really not worth the effort for two reasons. One it was cloudy so I couldn't see much and two, it rained as I was walking back so my only set of non cycling clothes were now wet. After a breakfast of bagels and cheese I set of in torrential rain. Even a £140 gore-tex waterproof jacket did not keep me dry. My bin liner kept the inside of my panniers though! Thankfully the rain stopped around lunch time and I had a warm sun for the rest of the day.

I had planned on cycling to a state park near Tillamook today.
Astoria Column
However, when I arrived I didn't really like the look of the camp site so pressed on. The mornings were cold and damp and I was still wet from the rain during the day so I was not keen to spend the night in a bivi bag on soggy ground.

I followed the ACA route all day today, except for a short section after Tillamook where I chose to follow the 131. I went through the first of two tunnels in Oregon today. The book 'Bicycling the Pacific Coast: A Complete Route Guide, Canada to Mexico' describes the tunnels as being a bit dangerous and hair raising. I did not find this to be true at all. There is a button for cyclists to press before entering the tunnel and this warns other road users that there is a cyclist in the tunnel. I had expected a great long, dark tunnel but it was neither of these.

Once again I ended up in a motel tonight.
Pacific City