Two Days at Sea and then Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

The next two days were spent sailing to Hong Kong. The seas were pleasant and the trip was uneventful. I caught up on my sleep and enjoyed the ride.

We were scheduled to arrive in Hong Kong early in the morning. The captain had mentioned that we were going to be sailing through Victoria Harbor which was a beautiful setting. He had slowed the ship during the previous two days so that we would arrive in the harbor around dawn. That way we could at least get some enjoyment out of it rather than arriving in the dead of night. I was up early and watched the arrival from my balcony. It was peaceful and quiet, and the city had yet to wake.

I had arranged a permit to go to the Mai Po Bird Sanctuary on the day of our arrival. When the ship cleared customs, I started out to the subway station to catch a ride to the northern parts of Hong Kong near the old border with China. The bird sanctuary had been closed for the previous three weeks because of a couple reports of avian flu in the far reaches of the area. The birders of Hong Kong were happy to have it reopened. I was extremely happy to have it reopened in time for my visit!

Hong Kong