The long flight back

Philadelphia Travel Blog

We caught the 10:00 shuttle to the airport. Having just dinged the restaurant staff, I must compliment the bell staff and the bus driver; they went out of the way to get us to the right spot in this huge airport.

Once inside the airport, however, we had a hell of a time figuring out where to go. CDG is under construction & many flights, including ours, have to board via bus. Given the 200+ passengers, it's a real pain, made worse by a ridiculously long drive. I think CDG, at least via Air France, should be avoided for a while.

The flight was mercifully uneventful. Passing over Normandy, we could clearly see Omaha Beach, the American cemetery, and even the monument! We landed at PHL on schedule at 3:25 and were on the bus to long-term parking before 4:25.

Dinner was at Pistachio's in Allentown and, surprisingly, they had on their menu many of the regional specialties we'd had in Europe. One of them was choucroute garni but for some strange reason, it was listed as "Mediterranean Grill". What sauerkraut, sausages and pork have to do with the Med is anyone's guess. I had it and it was head and shoulders above the disappointing one I'd had in Riquewihr.

We were home by early evening. This was a great trip! Because we'd anticipated the canal boat part for so long, I was afraid it would fall short of expectations. Quite the contrary, it exceed them, at least in my opinion. I thought it was just about perfect. Of course, I didn't have to cook. Lin was a tad less enthusiastic but would do it again if I can find an itinerary with more towns. Helen and Earl apparently had an excellent time (though Helen wasn't thrilled about the cooking either) and are eager to return.

I've decided that when I grow up. I want to be a lock keeper in France!

Philadelphia