A New Old Town

Beijing Travel Blog

Lake in the Forbidden City, I like it =)

I think I am addicted to writing.

I visited Beijing twice last year. Once in Spring, and once in summer. I would skip winter I am allergic to cold as prescribed by Doctor Winnie.

Beijing is the capital of China, and in the past, it used to be a communist country. Til today, many people are still uniquely Chinese chinese (if you get what I mean), and really proud and protective of their country. Fortunately, or unfortunately to many, Beijing is undergoing a major makeover due to the hosting of the Olympics in 2008.

Stepping into Beijing's like stepping into a major construction site. Construction goes on everywhere, with 5 star hotels popping up, shopping malls diva-dized, restaurants frantically opening, and of course the sudden emergence of a world-class stadium.

I never saw that much construction in my life, and sadly, the people are suffering now from the bad pollution caused by these and the increasing traffic.

Beijing food's not my type of food. Portions are too huge for petite Winnie, and the oil could double me up. But there is now a wide array of international restaurants, and it is a pleasant surprise as good Western food's really cheap in Beijing.

I like it that the taxi fares are really cheap, and drivers are pretty honest. The train's quite accessible except for the confusion caused by Chinese maps.

Attractions are plentiful and I love the many parks that Beijing has to offer. Sadly, the pollution blurs the skies and pictures are less than perfect. With much guilt, I haven't visited the Great Wall of China. I am making a laughing stock out of myself. In spring, I convinced myself it was too cold to be climbing and in summer, I thought heatstroke could kill =) But I visited the world in the World Palace where all the attractions of the world are featured. I climbed the mini Wall.

Shopping is interesting in Beijing. I loved Silk street although it sells mainly counterfeit items. I like the bustle and the crazy bargaining. Men would hate it. The real gems are hidden in the suburb areas and it takes long walks to discover.

I might visit Beijing again if my friends are still there. It interests me to see the civilisation of men. There's a timeline for buildings to be completed and a city to modernize its outlook. But how would the nation cope with the modernization of the mind? Would Beijing ever become a cosmo republic? I'm interested to discover again. Autumn would be good =)

WaltJake says:
Too bad you missed the Great Wall! If you go back there, arrange your own transportation to visit it...the hotel tour packages don't leave you enough time to fulley explore!
Posted on: May 27, 2007
Lake in the Forbidden City, I like…
Lake in the Forbidden City, I lik…