The 'aqad' ceremony

Pontian Travel Blog

I would like to take a chance to share with the TB members about the Malays wedding in Malaysia.Luckily this is my sister's wedding which was held in my hometown in Pontian, Johor.(located at the southern part of Malaysia).

The few days before the wedding... my parent's house was filled with relatives and closest friends from far and wide congregating at the house! They were here to help out of course. But the whole house looked messy and hay-wire... Or that’s what it seems like.The night before the big day, we were having 'rewang'(work together to ensure the Big Day goes smoothly according to plan).

My family usually practice a very simple ceremony.The ceremony spreads over two days, beginning with the akad nikah ceremony.
This ceremony is held in mosque.
The groom signs the marriage contract and agrees to provide the bride with a mas kahwin(dowry). The next day was a big day.All friend and relatives were invited to celebrate the couples.Special meals like 'nasi briyani', chicken and some other dishes were served to the guests.My father has his own chef  for this special dish.Before leaving, the guests gave some money to the hosts (my parents) and they were given a door gift like egg decorated with flower or put into small box. But, we change it to biscuits made by my third sister.The biscuit were put into small transparent box and decorated with ribbon.For the closest friends and relatives, we gave a special bunga telur which were placed at the dias.This special bunga telur were prepared by me and my third sister.
The exchanging ring.
Usually people put the bunga telur with eggs, but we change them to Mecca chocolate, potpouri, and 'dodol' (sweet and sticky traditional food).

In the afternoon, the groom is accompanied by friends, relatives, musicians and bunga manggar ('palm blossom'  but i change it  with modern bunga manggar which i bought in Bali) carried  to the bride's house.They also carrieed  some gift to give to the bride like cake, fruit, 'sirih junjung', parfume or toiletries, candies and many others.The gift were decorated nicely ( he. he...also made by me). In the  house the bride was waiting the groom.Once the groom arrived, the couples went  to the main table to have their meals with the family members.Usually in Malays tradition, the couple will be seated on the dias before having meals.But we skipped  that.The dias just for the family to take pictures with the couples.'Only the closest family members' that my parent's rules.As the  children we just follow.

I proudly to say again that all the decoration at the dias were prepared by me.We gathered all the ideas to make the dias beautiful.In my point of view lah.He..he..After taking pictures, the ceremony was  coming to the end.My family and i had some conversation and did some 'post-mortem' on the ceremony.Usually a day after.I was happy that the ceremony was successful.Tired but happy.....The end

azianelias68 says:
he..he.. i likeeee....
RH122 says:
Saya pun sama je! 2 x 5.
Kita bedal jelah asal org boleh paham udah!
azianelias68 says:
Thanks R.Alah i ni main blasah je blog ni.English lintang kupang.he..he..As long as org faham.I hope so..
The dias