Happy Hour at Armitage

Tucson Travel Blog

Barbara, Troy, Harriet, Sue

This time, Mark (SAAC co-organizer) decided to take us to the La Encantada complex for an evening at Armitage . . . great high class lounge. I attended yet again a happy hour in Tucson this Friday night with my friend Matt (Siualumn). The happy hour is part of the social activities organized by southern Arizona Adventure Company (SAAC). Mark one of our co-organizers chose Armitage a lounge located in the La Encantada business center. The Armitage has a lounge setting with a bar giving it that ambiance that changes character as the night lengthens, with its Old World ambiance. Here are some of the positives and negative of Armitage

Positive: The more positive side is that it is on the upper market side with great ambiance and style.

The furniture is up market and inviting
The lounge setting makes it agreeable to sit and relax if there is a smaller crowd
I must admit the service was good, bartender knew how to mix the drinks, well the Captain and cola I took was grand. I had two but did not know the cost of each since my friend Matt paid for the drinks, I shall ask him and update this review, I bet it was cheaper than a glass of red wine.
I tasted some of the entrees and they tasted good, so I will say the food is agreeable.

Negative:
Even though their advertising says it offers a place for intimate conversations, I must disagree especially when it is busy like it was on Friday. The high ceilings do not help in submerging the voices causing this loudness that makes it hard to have conversations. The outdoor area however can be considered more quite, but the sound of cars pulling in and out of the parking lot can be disturbing.

Matt(Siualumn), Harriet, Karl and . . .

Prices are too high, the atmosphere is agreeable and it seems like a nice place to wind up the day but the prices are on the exorbitant side that you really can't get over it enough to enjoy the wine. My friend Sue ordered two glasses of wine and a snack and her bill came to a little over $36.00, she looked at me to question it and I looked back in shock, lucky for me I did not order any wine. She would have been better off buying a whole for less no?  Wrong their least expensive bottle of wine was in the price range of $34, with taxes that becomes more expensive.
Too noisy and no music to calm down the atmosphere
The waiter kept asking us to move away from where we were standing adjacent to the bar and I was rather irritated by it.
Smiles on the faces of the service team would add much needed charm to this highly invested place.  The smile costs nothing, I did not see any smile son the faces of the service team, they looked a little overwhelmed by the number of people that showed (well SAAC had an attendance confirmation list of 80 people) plus the usuals and walk ins, so it was crowded and I’m not sure they have the man power to take care of such large crowds.

Barbara, Troy, Harriet, Sue
Matt(Siualumn), Harriet, Karl and …
Matt(Siualumn), Harriet, Karl and…
Sue and Harriet