My last day

Vienna Travel Blog

View from the Albertina

On my last morning, I went to the Albertina Museum, which I would absolutely reccomend.  It is in the centre of the city, but not in the Museum Quarter.  I was very impressed with teh museum, although it is an odd mix of things; when I was there, I saw Durers and Michaelangelos in sumptious state rooms, genuinely mediocre collections of prints in the palace bedrooms, cutting edge twentieth and even twenty first century works in pristine modern white cubes, and a genuinely charming section where they were exhibiting the works done by children at their summer camp.  It beats any other museum of art I have seen for randomness.  You should go.

After that, I was really pleased to find that I still had time for some cake and coffee (or fizzy apple juice as it happened) in Cafe Sacher.

Street Scene
  Surprisingly, Cafe Sacher has a cool, modern sort of feel to one section (Sacher 'Eck) and it was playing some Mark Ronson when we walked in.  The service was a little less laid back that the rest of the city, which is actually quite useful when you have a plane to catch.

Annoyingly, once we got to the airport, the easyjet desks really don't open until two hours before the flight so I had to go and eat pizza till they opened.  This is something that I have got out of the way of; I'm used to flying out of hubs where the desks are open all the time, but the queues are ludicrously long.  The idea of opening desks that late made me a little nervous about getting through the lines.  However, the queues were very short, and very well managed.  I had plenty of time for one more beer and to buy my mum a necklace before I left.

The Albertina
The Albertina
Cool Roof
Cool Roof
SacherTorte
SacherTorte
St Stephens Cathedral reflected i…
St Stephen's Cathedral reflected …
Wiesel Train!
Wiesel Train!
Vienna Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Sacher Torte at the Hotel Sacher
The world-famous sacher torte is a real must when you are in Vienna. It is an iced chocolate torte with apricot jam filling, and it is surprisingly l… read entire review
Vienna Sights & Attractions review
Albertina
The Albertina is an incredible museum in central Vienna. It has just consolidated a new permanent collection of modern and contemporary art, to add t… read entire review
Vienna