Arriving in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Cafe Central
After a surprisingly easy time in the custom's queue, I found myself in Gatwick Duty Free, where there were several lovely people handing out samples of alcohol.  I would not normally think it was a good idea to wander around the perfume counters sipping coffee baileys, southern comfort and ginger, and so on, but this time I did. i would recommend it.

Allie hadn't been able to get time off to come and get me from the airport, and although I could have ofund my own way, booked me a taxi.  This was very kind of her, and it did mean I got a look at some of the city on the way in.  The taxi dropped me at the University where she does that-complicated-thing-to-RNA, and we got on with catching up.

After she was able to finish at work, we went back to her flat to drop some things off, then headed back out for a wander around.
Rathaus
  First, we went to Cafe Central.  Cafe Central is apparently a landmark in Viennese Literary and intellectual history, with everyone from Trotsky to Freud hanging out here at some stage in the past.  Of course, the cafe is proudest of some of the towering figures of German literature, but given that the British are almost as lazy at having books translated into English as they are at learning German, I hadn't heard of very many of them.  In its present incarnation, it is a wonderful building with high ceilings, mirrors and wonderful decoration, a dinner pianist, and a lovely menu.  I really enjoyed our meal here.  After that, we wandered around the streets.  Whilst the pictures here don't really do the buildings much justice, you can see quite how grand the city is.  The thing I can't convey is how good it smelled.  There were a lot of gardens, and in the warm evening, a host of flowers I couldn't name made the city smell amazing.

This is not something I have ever written about London.

Part of a palace
Ottacringer in cafe leopold
Ottacringer in cafe leopold
Vienna Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Cafe Central
Cafe Central is a fantastic cafe in the centre of Vienna. The cafe makes a great deal of its historical connections to many of the great intellectual… read entire review
Vienna