Touristy Stuff in Paris

Paris Travel Blog

Sainte Chappelle

The small bed & the noise from the courtyard made sleep difficult. I'd set 4 alarms for about 7:45 but missed them all! Fortunately, voices in the courtyard woke me at 8:00. As agreed, we met Helen and Earl for breakfast in the courtyard @ 8:30 & got out of the hotel by 9:20.

Lin and I had been to Paris several times before but Helen and Earl had not so we set off to hit the tourist sites.  Walking the few blocks to the Metro station at St. Germain de Prés, we took a train to Cité where our first stop was at St. Chapelle. Actually, this was comething Lin and I had not seen before and we were eager to do so.  What an incredible surprise it was! While we’d all heard a lot about the windows, none of us was prepared for the sight! The chapel is very small but the stained-glass is absolutely overwhelming.

After the obligatory visit to the somber Notre Dame, we bought a day-ticket for L'OpenTour and grabbed a bus to Place de la Concord. Walking along Rue de Rivoli, we had lunch at l'Imperial, then continued on through the Tuilleries to the Louvre where we saw the popular 3; Venus de Milo, Winged Victory and the Mona Lisa. On the bus again, we had to go back past Notre Dame before going on to the Tour Eiffel. Helen & Earl went up into the tower but I’ve done it and Lin’s afraid of heights so she and I walked west a couple of blocks & relaxed over crepes & wine at Le Bailli de Suffren. In our opinion, THAT's what Paris is all about! When we returned to the Tour Eiffel, Helen & Earl were just arriving at the meeting point so we took the bus to Les Invalides, then transferred for the hotel.

After a very short rest, we showered and dressed for dinner. As Lin and I were waiting for Helen & Earl, who should enter the lobby but Peter Bolin!! Peter is a nationally-known architect who has done a lot of work for our company. He and his wife had just come back from Provence. We talked for a few minutes but I realized we were going to be late meeting Anne so I broke away and headed for the restaurant while Lin stayed behind to wait for Helen and Earl. It was good I chose to do so since I walked into the restaurant immediately behind Anne. Anne is a beautiful woman and a wonderful person and she looks better than ever. It was great to see her again. She and I were seated just a few minutes before the others arrived.

Dinner and service at Le Petit Zinc were both excellent. Though the reservations were for 8:00, it was after 11:30 when we left. I walked Anne to her car while the others walked to the hotel. Before going up to bed, I asked the desk clerk to check the train timetable for our morning trip to Briare. He did so and it appeared the best train for us would be at 11:15 AM.

St. Germain de Prés