Sancerre - Home of GREAT Wine

Sancerre Travel Blog

I was the first up at about 7:30. As I was waking, I suddenly had a revelation about the reason that we'd gone through almost all of our 1000 liter water supply in a little over a day. I'd notice on Sunday that the bilge pump was evacuating a lot of water but I assumed there was a leak at the shaft seal and thought little about it. As I awoke, I had a vision of that bilge water and realized for the first time that it was clear! Anyone who's ever looked at bilge water knows it's normally disgusting! I started poking around with a flashlight under the floor and found both clear bilge water and a steady drip!

While I was waiting for the others to crawl out of bed, I started editing the diary, then went to the boulangerie for croissants and a baguette. It sure is nice to be able to walk a few hundred feet and get freshly-baked goodies.

At the boulangerie, I also read the headlines of the paper and learned that the vote was "non". Of course, the Euro promptly tanked and I regretted changing as much cash in Paris as I had.

After breakfast, I called the CBL base in Decize and was told there was little they could do about the leak and, in any case, no mechanic was on duty today. I agreed to just fill with water frequently but we agreed I'd call again tomorrow. (We got in the habit of just turning off the water pressure when we didn't need it and reduced the loss to the point that I didn't bother calling again.)

Our first priority was supplies. In addition to food in general, I wanted to get some of the famous local goat cheese known as Crottins de Chavignol.

I'd seen a sign advertising crottins direct from a farm so that seemed a better place to buy them. Janette had said that the local super marché would be closed in the afternoon for inventory so we gave that first priority. I called a cab and arranged to have him take us first to the market, then to the farm to buy the crottins, back to the boat to deposit the food and finally up to Sancerre. Sancerre was a bit of a pilgrimage for me since it is my absolutely favorite white whine. Unfortunately, most of the shops in Sancerre were closed for some reason but we got info on a walking tour from the tourist information and had a great time in this very scenic town. Eventually, we had lunch at Au Bout du Monde, walked a tad more and called the cab for the ride back down.

Sancerre