Putting Along on the Canal

Herry Travel Blog

The scenery all morning was breathtaking & Helen & I took a zillion pictures. We approached the lock at la Prée, we noticed it was almost noon so we pulled to the side, put up the umbrella & Helen & walked around taking pictures. For lunch we had salad, brots & a bottle of red Sancerre. I'd never even heard of red Sancerre in the US but I'd been told to try it. I found it very light and disappointing. By the time we finished lunch, the lock was back in operation & we were off again.

The speed limit on the canal is 8 kilometers per hour. That converts to 5 MPH (hence the title of this page). As a "type A" personality who drives a tad fast, I wasn't sure I could maintain my sanity at this speed but I was determined to try. As it happened, we realized that at 5 MPH and even with the two nights in Manétréol, we'd be in Decize much to early.

waiting for the lock to re-open
On top of that, the scenery was so incredibly beautiful that we honestly felt 5 MPH was too fast to savor it! As a consequence, we throttled back even more and I loved it!

The town of Herry looked cute & had a nice waterside so we tied up there & walked around a bit. After that, the scenery went downhill; mostly flatlands, wheat fields & granaries. We'd planned on stopping for the night at la Chapelle-Montlinard but that wasn't attractive at all. Further along, we paralleled a road that about touched the canal some of the time & it was getting past 5 so we had to make some decisions about stopping. We figured we'd make a run through the locks at Beffes & the pair near Marseilles-lès-Aubigny so we'd have a stretch of open canal to work with. However, when we got to Beffes, I got off as usual as we approached the lock but when I saw the town, I suggested we stop. Earl & I walked to the market & bought some snacks. There was no restaurant in town so we had ravioli on board. The girls were less than delighted at the prospect of preparing another meal on board but there was no alternative.

Herry