Our Last Full Day on the Canal (Sigh!)

Decize Travel Blog

Leaving Nevers

With over 40km to go today, we were up @ 7:30, had breakfast on deck & pulled out right at 9:00. When we reached the first lock, there was a British sailboat in it so we had quite a wait. We entered, followed by a Grande Classique from CBL with 7 men on board. Ricardo, my counterpart (that is, the guy who jumps off at the locks to moor the boat and, in most cases, assist the lockkeeper) from that boat & I got talking at the lock. They are from Spain & do this every year. He works in fiber optics for Tyco and is a very friendly guy!

At the next lock, Ricardo arrived with a bottle of Spanish red wine for us! These were the automatic locks and they are ridiculously slow, almost 30 minutes for the cycle!

We had quite a run to the next lock and, when we arrived, the Brits were still waiting there.

Ricardo and me
They said this lock-keeper runs 2 locks and he was at the other. Their keel prevented them from tying into the bank so we did so and they tied onto us. Meanwhile, the Spanish & another boat arrived so all four waited! Eventually, I walked to the lock & read a sign that gave a phone number to call to get the lock-keeper to come! Soon the lock-keeper arrived & we all locked through, 2 at a time. By now it was approaching lunchtime so, of course, we all waited for an hour at the next lock.

We wanted to make croques messieurs for lunch but could not get the broiler working so Linda made grilled ham & cheese sandwiches & we ate them on the fly.

We arrived at Crown Blue's base in Decize at about 4:30.

Decize
Just as we were arriving, the wind was blowing in a storm so Earl had to work hard to get the boat backed into the slip. The woman in the CBL office reserved a taxi for Earl & me to go to Nevers in the AM. By the way, her English was excellent!

At her recommendation, we walked to Le Charolais in town for dinner and it was absolutely fantastic. While we were in the restaurant, Karl called & said they were in Beaune. By coincidence, we'd decided that Beaune was a better place to meet them so we agreed that they’d stay there. We recommended Hotel de la Poste & asked him to reserve 2 rooms for us. When we arrived back at the boat, Karl called to say they were settled in & would reserve 2 rooms for us. We packed & hit the rack.

The last lock (sigh!)