Arrival in Paris

Paris Travel Blog

Helen & Earl on the RER

Arriving at Charles Degaulle at about 8:45 AM, we found the airport under construction and consequently a real mess. We had to descend from the plane to the tarmac and were taken by bus. After a long bus ride, a lot of walking and a great deal of confusion, we got the RER train to the Notre Dame - St. Michel stop. I’d hoped to use the exit that would bring us up almost across from Notre Dame so Helen and Earl would get an impactful first look at the city but, sadly, we ended up further along on Blvd St. Michel. Because I'd enjoyed a previous stay there, I'd booked us rooms at the Hôtel d’Angleterre in St. Germain des Prés. Foolishly, I suggested we walk to the hotel. I’d apparently forgotten how far it was so, by the time we got there a little after 11:00, I was less than popular with the other folks!

The rooms were not available so, after leaving the bags at reception, we went by cab to Montmartre where, after visiting Sacre Coeur & walking around Place du Tertre, we had lunch at an open-air café.

The girls at Sacre Coeur
Running out of steam by now, we walked down the steps & got the Metro to Rue du Buc, then walked to hotel, arriving at 3:00.

Unfortunately, our room, number 3, was tiny & loud. After the great room I had last time, I was very disappointed and Lin couldn’t imagine why I’d recommended this hotel.

Before leaving home, we’d made arrangements to meet our longtime friend Anne, who lives just outside of Paris, for dinner on Friday. I gave her a call to make contact and we agreed I'd select a restaurant and call her back in the morning with details.

The more I thought about the room, the more upset I got so I went to reception to complain. They said there was no option for tonight but they’d change it tomorrow.

Us
Finally, I lay down after asking for a wakeup for 5:30. Since I failed to specify PM, they naturally assumed I was setting a call for the AM so 5:30 came and went without a call. At 6:30, I woke and realized the error so we jumped out of bed. Of course, Helen & Earl had been waiting since 6. We agreed to just walk around the neighborhood and find a restaurant. Before leaving, however, I asked at the reception about a restaurant for tomorrow night’s dinner with Anne. His recommendation for Le Petit Zinc squared with my friend Theo’s and it was only a block away so we stopped there to make a 8:00 reservation for tomorrow. Tonight, we ended up at La Brasserie St. Benoit for an excellent dinner with superb service. We were back in the room shortly after 10:00, whereupon we crashed and burned.

On the RER
On the RER
Montmartre
Montmartre
We have one of this guys works fr…
We have one of this guy's works f…
Helen, Earl & Linda
Helen, Earl & Linda
Sacre Coeur
Sacre Coeur
St. Germain de Prés
St. Germain de Prés
Paris Hotels & Accommodations review
Charming little Left Bank hotel
First, be careful, there are two hotels by the same name in Paris. This one is on the Left Bank in St. Germain de Prés; the other is on the Right Ba… read entire review
Paris