Saint Petersburg, Russia - another day here

Saint Petersburg Travel Blog

Colonel dress for Ballet.

Today I get up rise and shine and head downstairs for breakfast. Which is another round of cereal and yogurt, but no milk.

We all get onto the bus and head off for another adventure. We are going to the Peter and Paul Fortress which is here the lowdown" The Peter and Paul Fortress is the original citadel of St. Petersburg, Russia, founded by Peter the Great in 1703 and built to Domenico Trezzini's designs from 1706 to 1740.

The fortress contains several notable buildings clustered around the Peter and Paul Cathedral (1712-1733), which has a 123.

many funny rules
2-metre bell-tower (the tallest in the downtown) and a gilded angel-topped cupola.

The cathedral is the burial place of all Russian tsars from Peter I to Alexander III. The remains of the Imperial martyrs, Nicholas II and his family and entourage, were also interred there, in the side St.Catherine's Chapel, on the 80th anniversary of their deaths, July 17, 1998.

Towards the end of 2006, the remains of Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna were brought from Roskilde Cathedral outside Copenhagen to finally rest next to her husband, Alexander III. As well Catherine the Greats tomb is here as well.

Entering the grounds was a bit of a challenge as we are in Russia and some things are different. The guy at the gate was telling us the place was closed when it really was not. He really just wanted a bribe, so our guide gave him some money and then he happily opened the gate for us.

Its an amazing area, full of tombs and grand chandellors and fancy walls. Its a great tour and we encounter something really funny. The sign of rules, I have photo, silly rules are no skiing at the fortress or jumping off the walls etc. Read the sign and get your own opinion.

From here we leave and head off into main part of town again and go visit the The State Hermitage.

Peter and Paul Fortress
Here is a description of the Hermitage: The State Hermitage (Russian: �"о��да���венн�й Э�ми�аж) is a museum of art and culture situated in Saint Petersburg, Russia. One of the largest[1] and oldest museums of the world, it was founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great and open to the public since 1852.
My photo with 2 ballet Fans!
Its collections, of which only a small part is on permanent display, comprise nearly 3 million items[2], including the largest collection of paintings in the world. The collections occupy a large complex of six historic buildings along Palace Embankment, including the Winter Palace, a former residence of Russian emperors. Apart from them, the Menshikov Palace, Museum of Porcelain, Storage Facility at Staraya Derevnya and the eastern wing of the General Staff Building also make part of the museum. The museum has several exhibition centers abroad. The Hermitage is a federal state property.
Since 1990, the director of the museum has been Mikhail Piotrovsky.

This structure is really amazing, it was home to a small family and had many many servants. Anna, our local guide, gives us a tour of the structure. I have no photos from inside as we were not allowed, so folks, you have to go to Russia yourself and see this place. One unusual incident here was at end of tour, we went into the gift shop and were kicked out for no reason. The staff decided to close and go on an unofficial break when the hours posted on wall, said they are supposed to be open. Welcome to Russia!

We leave this exciting place and head back to the hotel. Where we go for supper later in evening and supper is almost something to be undesired. We once again get a great serving of Cucumbers and Tomato salad, with oily soup. But this time our main course is Chicken Kiev. Which was looking like a piece of chicken that was caked in someones vomit. Really bad and just disgusting. I didn't eat this!

Anyhow, tonight we are off to a ballet, not just any ballet though.

Its to the world famous Swan Lake. I have never been to ballet before, but why not go. So a few people, mostly the girls and of course the Colonel, dress up for this occasion.

Some of us take photos for this amazing event. Once at the ballet the curtain goes up and the show starts. Its a good experience, and I am glad I went, but I wont go to see one again . It was too long, almost 3 hours. The best part was that there were many intermissions and champagne was provided. So I had many many champagnes to which i was totally interested in the Ballet. Below is my real wording of what I thought of the Ballet".  It was awesome!  I couldn't believe it but the second act was even more exciting than the first!  I hoped it would never end!  ("I loved it.  It was much better than Cats.  I'm going to see it again and again.")  The reason for the ballet is it was included in a package and we couldn't do the other stuff in Russia without it.  We're dealing with the Family and this is how they operate.No photos allowed during the performance.  I hope someone else was watching the costumes, because I couldn't take my eyes off the passion!

We leave the show after its done and head back to the hotel.

As its our last night in Saint Petersburg, we decide on to rip it up tonight at the bar in the hotel. So a bunch of us go downstairs and in bar and drink. Our goal is to make it to 6am and stay up all night. Well just remember I already drank champagne this evening. So i start with a few beers, then tried a Red Bull and Vodka for first time. I loved it and i was flying. So I had 5 more after that, big mistake, I will tell you the consequences in the next blog.

During this drinking time, The Colonel was telling us about his girlfriend problems how he can not get anyone. AS well how he wants to find every brothel in Europe and thinks that is his calling in life. At same time tells us he is going to school back home to become a doctor. Well I don't know if I would like to have the Colonel as my doctor.

Anyhow, I have one more beer around 2am that night and decide that is it, as I am about to pass out. I crawl my way back up to my room, struggle to get my key from the sleeping nyt nyt lady and go to my  room and crash!!

The Damage has started. I will tell you the rest in next blog. Its not pretty!

View more information at my travel blog "Exciting World Travel" at www.excitingworldtravels.com

A choir