...Ghost town in the afternoon

Swakopmund Travel Blog

Dinner at Napolitana

We arrived in Swakopmund around lunch time. Swakopmund is Namibia's third largest city and the self-proclaimed adrenaline capital of Africa.
Well, at first sight there wasn't a whole lot that would get the adrenaline flowing, since Swakopmund resembles a ghost town on Sundays. The streets were deserted, and while restaurants and some shops were open, there simply weren't any people around.

But the adventure that can be found at Swakopmund happens mostly just outside of town. After checking in to our hostel we were given a DVD presentation of just what is possible here. Deep sea fishing, whale watching, sea kayaking, horse riding, hot air ballooning, a snake park, underwater marine park, rock climbing, scenic flights and finally the big three, or Thrillogy: Sky diving, Sandboarding and Quadbiking.

I was quite interested in doing all of the Big Three, but that would mean we'd have to leave within the hour to do the skydive. I was glad to have just arrived at a place where I could have a shower and relax for a bit. The skydive wasn't expensive compared to other countries, but it wasn't exactly cheap either, so I decided that since I had done it before, it wasn't a must. I'll do it again, some other day, some other place.

So with the other two of the big three booked for tomorrow I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering around town, checking my e-mails and enjoying the fact that I could finally have some decent coffee again.

In the evening we went out for dinner with the whole group. 'Ristorante Napolitana' might not sound very Namibian, but this restaurant turned out to have quite an international menu. Besides the many pizzas and pastas they also had African game, and I opted for a hearty African-Mexican combination of tostadas with kudu meat.

Note: for some inexplicable reason I did not take any pictures while in Swakopmund. I will upload some photos once I receive them from my fellow-travellers.

Biedjee says:
Nope, I seriously just couldn't be bothered. We had just arrived after a long drive and a visit to the seal colony, and they said "if you want to skydive we must leave in half an hour". As you are well aware it is not something you want to rush into.
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009
edsander says:
> The skydive wasn't expensive compared to other
> countries, but it wasn't exactly cheap either, so
> I decided that since I had done it before, it
> wasn't a must.

You chickened out, didn't you ? ;-)
Posted on: Oct 17, 2009
Swakopmund Hostels review
Wonderfully designed but poorly maintained hostel
The Dunes Lodge is a wonderfully designed hostel in central Swakopmund, situated just a few blocks from the beach. The rooms and dorms are located… read entire review
Swakopmund