Day 16: Swakopmund - Walvis Bay - Solitaire - Sesriem Canyon (3)

Sesriem Travel Blog

Sesriem canyon

And so we arrived at Sesriem, a little settlement named after nearby Sesriem canyon. 'Ses riem' is Afrikaans for 'Six leashes', and comes from the time when the river at the bottom of the canyon was used for water supply, and you'd need to tie six ox-wagon leashes to your bucket in order to reach the water surface at the bottom of the canyon. If only all city names were that inventive.

We went for a nice walk to the bottom of the canyon. As it is the dry season now there wasn't a lot of water to worry about, though apparently floods still do happen every year.
The canyon is a beautiful small canyon, and made for a very nice little walk.

At night we once again slept outside, under the stars. As it would turn out, the last time we bothered to put up our tent had been in Etosha, we would be sleeping outside every night from now on until Cape Town. I loved it. The blanket of stars above, the buzzing and howling and crying of animals all around. Just wonderful!
It was slightly unsettling waking up in the morning and seeing the jackal tracks right next to me, but on the other hand, why would a jackal be interested in me when there's thrash cans to raid, right?

sarahsan says:
I walked through the Sesriem Conyon in August last year. Almost stepped on a Rock Adder. Luckily I was pulled aside. Except from that, it´s a beautiful place!
Posted on: Oct 11, 2009
Sesriem canyon
I never get tired of these sunsets…
I never get tired of these sunset…
Dinner at Sesriem campsite