Day 16: Swakopmund - Walvis Bay - Solitaire - Sesriem Canyon (2)

Solitaire Travel Blog

buying some world famous Apfelstrüdel

I said it before: The weather in Namibia changes as fast as the landscape. When we left Swakopmund in the morning it was cold and foggy, no more than 10 degrees Celsius. By the time we arrived driven 100 kilometres into the Namib desert the mercury had climbed up to 42 degrees, making it the hottest day of our entire trip.

I wasn't complaining about the change of weather though. As it turned out sandboarding had not been the best of ideas considering I had bruised a rib and my shoulder several days earlier. The sandboarding had made it much much worse and last night I had barely slept as there wasn't a single way I could lie down without my shoulder hurting immensely.
On top of that I had developed a nasty cough, courtesy of the cold and damp weather of Swakopmund. Each time I coughed I was in agony. Fortunately the change to hot and dry weather also did wonders to my cough, and during the stop in Walvis Bay I had been able to visit a pharmacy and buy some cough medicine and some very potent pain killers.

A second stop on the way to Sesriem was at Solitaire. This aptly named settlement consists of little more than a petrol station, a camp ground, a lodge and a bakery. The bakery, run by a not very German sounding Moose McGregor, is one of the most famous bakeries in all of Africa, courtesy of the fantastic apfelstrüdel that is sold here. Apfelstrüdel in 42 degrees? It sounds odd, but oh so worth it!

buying some world famous Apfelstr…
buying some world famous Apfelstr…
quiver trees in the Namib desert