Dublin

Dublin Travel Blog

What can I say about Dublin other than it is a wonderful city?!
The people are incredibly friendly and the atmosphere feels strangely like home to me. We only spent a few days in Dublin, but the time I spent there was wonderful.
My diet consisted entirely of Guiness during this leg of the journey. To be more specific, it was Guiness and things that were either cooked in Guiness or battered and fried in Guiness batter. Not exactly the healthiest diet on Earth, but when in Ireland...do as the Irish do.
A few notes on Dublin, in case any of you readers ever have the pleasure of visiting this wonderous city....

1. Bring an umbrella. It started raining....hard...and we didn't have an umbrella. We then spent hours looking all over town, trying to find an umbrella for sale, which was surprisingly hard to find.
do yourself a favor and just bring one. They make teeny tiny ones now that will fit inside of a small purse, or a large pants pocket...just get one. You will thank yourself.

2. If you are in Dublin, you need to visit the Guiness factory. I know this is a given for most people when they visit Dublin, as it is the #1 tourist attraction in Ireland (according a drunk Irish guy I met), but I must reiterate how awesome this place is for those who may not already know. For one thing, the Guiness "metropolis", as I like to call it, takes up about 1/3 of the city. It is massive! Even if you aren't into beer, it is worth feasting your eyes on. The other thing is the beer. This is coming from somebody who doesn't normally drink beer and won't TOUCH Guiness back home because it tastes nasty: The Guiness in Dublin is different.
It is actually good! Some people might argue that Guiness is always good, even when you are far from Ireland, but I beg to differ. I was quite surprised to find out that I enjoyed this dark black beverage. I enjoyed it so much, in fact, that I found myself to be sucking them down at an alarming rate until I became quite drunk (and yet deliriously happy).
Entry to the Guiness factory gives you a tour and one free pint of Guiness, as fresh as it comes. Do it!

3. We found a cool pub there. It is slightly touristy, but in a good way. It is called Gogarty's Pub. (http://www.gogartys.ie/pub/). I won't go into too much detail because I included their link, and the website includes a lot of information about the pub, but let's just say that I found it to be delightful, and a wonderful way to spend my last day in Dublin.

4. We stayed at the Merrion hotel, and it was quite nice. By far one of the most comfortable European hotels I have ever stayed at, if you don't include the converted Palace we stayed at in Florence. I would recommend it!  http://www.merrionhotel.com/

5. Depending on the time of year that you are in Dublin, you might be so lucky as to get to go to the Bloom Festival. This is, as the website states, "Ireland's Largest and Most Spectacular Gardening Event". I couldn't agree more. It was interesting to go and get a look into the gardening culture of the 'Isles, since it is so popular there. Check it out!   http://bloominthepark.com/

6. Last, but not least, the Book of Kells and Trinity College is worth having a look at. Conveniently located right next to our hotel :)
Bloom Festival
Bloom Festival...The Irish Beekeep…
Bloom Festival...The Irish Beekee…
Gogartys Pub