Rapid Descent

Naro Moru Travel Blog

Scott and I proudly perched on Point Lenana for about fifteen minutes. Clouds were rolling into Teliki Valley far below as we began the descent. To get back onto Lewis Glacier we had to sit and crawl, spider-like, using both hands and feet. I tossed my two-liter water bottle ahead and it bounced into a deep ice cave whose black oval entrance daunted icicles resembling shark teeth. Though unintended, that somehow seemed an appropriate place to sacrifice the green plastic bottle from Pakistan and its rainbow colored cloth-belt carrying strap from Afghanistan. Like the crosses on the peak, they may one day commemorate our own ascent.

Once off the glacier we descended sprightly making two short stops to glance back at our mountain. We reached the campsite by noon, gulped more beans, sausage, bread and coffee, then packed our gear and continued all the way down to the met station. The five British soldiers were camped there and we arrogantly boasted of our reaching the top.

While collecting bamboo for a fire, we eyed two cars in the area and hesitated on pitching the tent. Our  patience paid off when one had room and offered a lift down to Naro Moru Lodge. Completing our quest a day early and under budget, we rented a cabin. That night I experienced altitude sickness with a pounding headache and the inability to keep food down. Going from 9,000 to 16,355 feet and back in 36 hours didn't give my body time to adjust. After a good nights sleep I was fine.

Naro Moru