AfricaEgyptLuxor

Luxor

Luxor Travel Blog

Village along the Nile

The five hour train ride to Luxor was not crowded and much more comfortable than our questionable transport in Sudan. Scenery too was more engaging. Brightly colored mud-brick houses with flat roofs clung to brown arid hillsides. Large wooden cogwheels - driven by cows - slowly drew ground water for irrigation. Fellahin (peasant farmers) labored in the rich green fields the same ways they did 2,000 years ago. Cows also dragged plows across cultivated fields while horses and donkeys pulled flat wooden carts hauling fresh crops to the open-air markets of remote villages. People gathered dried cow dung for cooking fuel. Camels strayed.

The youth hostel in Luxor cost $1.20 per night. The place was new and well-designed like those in Europe.

In the Valley of the Kings
The five of us got settled in by noon then Scott and I walked a mile and a half to the Karnak Temple. We were not particularly impressed with Luxor itself. Car horns of impatient drivers constantly echoed from adobe and concrete buildings. They  maneuvered  dirty streets which tended to be scattered with trash, garbage, and piles of horse dung. From the corner of an eye, we spotted aggressive hawkers rapidly approaching from across the street. Their repeated calling "My friend, my friend... hello, my friend! " automatically triggered one of those awkward moments of travel when we rudely ignored them. We avoided eye contact and did not acknowledge their wares.

Across the river, we visited King Tut's Tomb. The white walls of the burial chamber were elaborately decorated with brilliant-colored paintings and inscriptions. Most of its treasures had been removed and were on display in a Cairo museum.

troysgonewalkabout says:
Interesting that you found Luxor to be unlikeable even then - a quarter of a century later I felt the same...
Posted on: Dec 08, 2011