Middle-eastern food and entertainment in the middle of Prague?

Prague Travel Blog

That's right! One of my TB friends told me about this great restaurant in Old Town Prague where you can get some really good middle eastern food. The restaurant also has hookas available for patrons. They have a full drink menu and provide free entertainment.

Before we left Germany, I did some research and jotted down some valuable information. The entertainment and belly dancing starts at 9:30 pm. but only Thursday -Saturday. Great, we were heading out Saturday afternoon and would have plenty of time to catch this show later that night. I jotted down the address, highlighted the time and we headed out for Prague.

It was Saturday and our first day in Prague. We were a bit tired after driving 4 hrs; touring through old town; crossing the Charles Bridge with a couple of thousand of my new friends:); and hiking up the hill to the Prague Castle.
We definitely worked up a big appetite.

We looked over the map provided by the hotel, plotted our route through old town and set off in search of this famous watering hole.

After wandering through Old town for 30 minutes, we found it. A big blue sign which read "Dahab Restaurant". This had to be the place. Food, drink and vibrating bellies await just beyond that door.

We entered the building, on the right was a stainless steel counter. Under the counter, behind sheet glass, I could see assorted bowls of grilled veggies, olives, kebabs and other typical middle eastern food items. This was making me hungry but where was the fancy restaurant? There had to be more.
On the left a couple of tables with a few people eating some just waiting.
This guy played piano and sang songs in Arabic. He played before the belly dancing and also while the belly dancer was changing between sets.
In front of me a door. But where was this great restaurant?

I opened the door in front of me and walked into what appeared to be a storage closet. It had to be a storage closet it definitely was not the main restaurant. It was filled with tables, chairs, rags and buckets. This was strange, definitely not the restaurant. I backed out of the closet (Yes, I came out of the closet, haha)and the young man behind the counter smiled, waved his hand and directed us around the building to the side. We found the main entrance to the restaurant which was in the middle of the building and not very well marked.

As we walked through the door I could see the lamps hanging from the ceiling, silk pillows on the benches and red and gold tapestry on the walls and windows.
This is the belly dancer. I hope you enjoy the show as much as I did. :)
The smell of apple flavored tobacco mixed with mint and rose petals and I was pulled into the doorway. Yes! This is the place. We stepped in around 9 pm and the place was pretty busy. All of the tables had place cards which read "reserved". Bummer, all this way and we were going to miss the show.

A waiter approached us and when he found out we were going to have dinner he quickly removed the "reserved" sign from a table near the stage and handed us the menus. It appeared to me that alot of the people, especially the men, were sipping drinks and waiting for the show. I bet he was pleased to have tourists and who were going to spend money at his station.

I don't recall what I ate but the food was good. The service was a little slow but the waiters seemed to be busy taking care of a big family. This appeared to be more of a local place rather than a tourist destination. A night out for Arab and Turkish business men.

I hope you enjoy the pictures. The place can get pretty smokey so if you have problems with smoke this might not be the best place for you. Other than that the place is great.

Hope you enjoy the videos. Great entertainment, really fun to watch! Cheers!!
Larrys says:
Thx Joe. Have a great weekend.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2009
JoePink says:
Thx 4 sharing the videos, great blog!!
Posted on: Jun 11, 2009
This guy played piano and sang so…
This is the belly dancer. I hope…