Getting from Bratislava to Vienna

Bratislava Travel Blog

It is the first time and most probably the last time we fly with Sky Europe! What a disaster! The plane was supposed to leave at 6:20pm and we ended up taking off at 4.40am! Unbelievable!!!  Except for our bad luck with our flight, everything has been fantastic and with plenty of pleasant surprises!

We flu from Barcelona straight to Bratislava, which takes around 2.5 hours. As we expected almost everyone cancelled the ticket and we ended up practically alone in the plane. I would say there were from 6 to 8 people in it. We didn´t expect much from this city, but the truth of the matter is that we loved it!

We landed around 7am and we already had our taxi driver waiting for us with a big sign with our name printed on it.
Actually we rented an apartment at and they arranged everything for us. The taxi cost us 14.90€ so if you don´t have plenty of time to take the bus and tram, just get a taxi. He took us from the airport to the very center of the city for that amount. We got there around 7.30pm, so I called the agency and in less than 10 minutes Stanka came to give us the keys and showed us how everything worked. The apartment was on the fourth floor and had a beautiful terrace. Just check the photos! If you are thinking of visiting the city, I recommend you to get an apartment in the city center. The whole area is pedestrian, and it is just beautiful!

Once we got to the apartment we took a shower, took 1hour nap and we got ready to get the ferry to Vienna.
Before getting it, we went to Hlavné nám to have breakfast in a beautiful café right on the square. On the way there we came across a city curiosity! A life-sized statue of a paparazzi on a corner of Laurinská street ☺ no doubt we took many photos! At Hlavné nám we found tons of small souvenir cabins selling all sorts of things. There I bought my first patch! Hehehh

Then we headed to the river to get the Twin City Liner which cost us 34€/per person rountrip. On the way we found the Rubberneck! no other city in the world has a statue sticking out of a manhole. I have published a couple of photos about it. It seems to be that is the most photographed attraction in the city ☺

From the ferry you can see the Bratislava Castle and also The New Bridge! Constructed within 1967 - 1972 over the Danube river.
It is a steel bridge suspended on a single pylon. At the top of the pylon, in the height of 80 m, there is a restaurant! I wished we had the time to visit it! Well the ferry takes up around 75 minutes to reach Vienna! It was a very romantic moment, even more when you share it with your girlfriend and a nice cold beer heheheh!

The ferry stops very close from Schwedenplatz, around 10 minutes away from the very center of the city! Before visiting the city we decided to leave our luggage in our new hotel. It was not a great hotel but very well located if you only have a day to visit Vienna! ☺ I am attaching a review from it!

Once we had checked-in we headed to the city center right to Stephansplatz! Woaw, Stephansdom is breathtaking! There were tons of tourists walking around this square and a great number of horse carriages next to Stephansdom.
It took us some time to visit the cathedral, so at the time we finished, it was lunch time. We checked our Lonely Planet and we decided to go to Figlmüller Restaurant! A must go place! ☺ Attaching a review! Order some red wine! Mmmmm fantastic! Don´t even remember how many glasses we had ☺

From Stephansplatz we walked along Kärtner Strabe to Vienna Ring Boulevard which is 4 kilometres long and circles the city centre. On the way we stopped in a coffee place and we had a nice cappuccino and a Sacher cake! When we reached The Ring we turned right at the Staatsoper and walked along The Ring until we reached the Burggarten. We even visited the Butterfly House, which my girlfriend pointed at me as I had no idea there could be a museum dedicated to such a thing! Next to this park you find the National Library and right behind this builiding the Heldenplatz.
From there we crossed The Ring to see the Naturhistory Museum, Mumok and many other interesting places. The truth of the matter is that I had never seen so many giant buildings! There are so many that after a while they don´t even surprise you anymore. Then we kept walking to the Palace of Justice, Parliament, City Hall, Schottentor University, Sigmund-Freud Park until we reached the end of The Ring! We were so exhausted that we headed to the hotel at 7pm and we did not woke up until next day!!! We only had a 1 hour sleep that day! ☺
lauro says:
oh my...6:20 pm.. then 4:20 am...
Posted on: Jun 11, 2009