Sifnos, June 27-29

Sifnos Travel Blog

I woke up on my last island and realized that it would be tough to spend the day. On Sundays in Greece, everything is much slower than the rest of the week, which in itself is slower than Americans are used to. Very few places are open, and very few people are out. I just walked around the port town of Kamares for a few hours, taking pictures of the architecture and trying to enjoy the last sea air that I would breathe for a while. It was another hot, sunny day. There was not a single day in Greece where it was cold, nor was it ever overcast. Every single day was constant sun and 85 degrees. I was a little bit short on cash, so I walked around trying to find an ATM. I finally found one near the ferry jetty, but there was something wrong with it and it did not dispense money. I asked at a travel agency where I could find another ATM, but was promptly told that I would have to take a bus to another town on the other side of the island. At that point, I was missing a big city with quick fixes, and done with the small town experience. I simply went to the beach at the port for a few hours, ordered one expensive but potent drink, sipping it infrequently, and watched ferries come and go. I went back to my hotel and washed enough clothes to last me the rest of the trip, then sat out on the patio and watched my last sunset in the Greek Islands. It was a great trip, but for anyone that wants to go, I would say that you could do less islands and in three weeks tops. I visited seven in four weeks, and by the end of it, I was ready to return home to Washington, D.C.
Sifnos