Milos, June 25-27

Milos Travel Blog

 › entry 8 of 10 › view all entries
It ended up being quite difficult to leave Santorini, in more ways than one. Firstly, it was a beautiful island, and I was staying at a hostel managed by a great older couple that were very accommodating. That leads me to the second reason. I had packed up all my things and had gotten a ride down to the port to catch my ferry for Milos. I had sat down in a portside restaurant for a beer, to kill time until the boat was supposed to leave. I did not realize until a couple of hours had gone by that my ferry had been cancelled. The ticket office told me that I could go to a variety of other places that afternoon, including Naxos, Paros, and Ios. I had already visited all three of them so I decided to just spend another night on Santorini. I quickly found John, the hostel owner, and arranged another night. I was put in the dorm with a few other people. I had had to book a private room for the other nights because the dorms were full. The time passed quickly and before I knew it, I was down at the port again the next day. The water was extremely choppy and there was a strong wind, which got me nervous again. I checked with the office and was assured that the ferry would come, sooner or later. It came about 30 minutes late and as I stepped on, I was offered a barfbag in case of seasickness. I declined, then took a deep breath after that ominous sign.

The ferry ride was quite interesting. The normally fairly calm water of the Mediterranean was cluttered with 6-foot waves, and the small ferry was constantly changing course to try and find a weaving path that limited movement. It was within the first 20 minutes that I heard the sound of regurgitation coming from a few rows behind me and to the right. It was not long after that that many other people were using the barfbags. In my own anxiety and nervousness, I started to feel a bit queasy, but I moved to a seat underneath an air vent and looked out the window, and that helped. The two-hour ferry ride felt like a rollercoaster. I was constantly getting that loopy feeling in my kidney area. However, I never became seasick, despite all of those around me constantly calling the boat employees for more barfbags. I read a book and ate a croissant that I had bought that morning, with the sounds of nausea almost interminable.

The ferry got into Milos at around 8:45 that night, and I saw the sunset as I was in the van to the campsite. I had heard that it was enjoyable from a friend on Crete, so I rented a tent at the campsite and booked two nights. Inside the tent was a great deal of sand and a 1/2-inch foam mat. I walked around exploring then went to bed at around 10:30. I used some of my t-shirts as a pillow and put on my pants and long-sleeved shirt to stay warm. The next day, I took a bus from the campsite to the main town, Adhamas, then another bus to a town on a large hill on the north side of the island, Plaka. It was there that I could explore a bit, see the ruins of the Roman amphitheater near the water, and even go in the catacombs. I tried the catacombs first, but was disappointed to find that they were closed for "excavation purposes" or something. I then walked down to the Roman ruins and took a few pictures. It was quite hot that day, so I walked back up to Plaka, bought a bottle of water, and sat at the bus stop, planning on going in the pool as soon as I got back to the campsite. I had only gone into the sea on the trip, which of course is spectacular, but I was itching to try the pool. The water was nice, but there were several annoying kids jumping in and out, and there was a strong wind. The second night in the tent was no better than the first. A bit uncomfortable.

On my last day in Milos, I had a great deal of time to kill because my ferry was not supposed to leave for Sifnos until 10 p.m. I had a double-espresso at the campsite's cafe, then walked down the road to Hivadholimini beach, near the site. I took some pictures of some ruins and looked out to sea, enjoying the breeze for a while. Then I walked about two miles down paved roads to another beach, called Provatas. It was near the end of my trip, so I was quite all right with paying 6 euro for a beach chair. I was going to be there for several hours, and I did not want to sit out in the sun the entire time. The beach was enclosed by rocky walls in a cove, protected from the wind, and the water was perfect. It was nice to be able to walk there and back. I was tired of having to take public buses everywhere. I got back to the campsite at around 5, planning on going in the pool for another quick dip. However, it was closed due to the employees having to set up for a wedding reception that was to occur later that night. There were tables set up and banners flying. I watched the sunset from the roof of the campsite's restaurant, then caught the camping minibus down to the port. The ferry came on time, and I got to Sifnos approximately 45 minutes later. The owner of my accommodation was there to meet me, and I was lying in the comfortable bed less than an hour later.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: elam