Getting a tank to go out of the airport

Graskop Travel Blog

Sabie Falls

I actually did not have any plans to go back to South Africa again but after I found a plane ticket with Lufthansa going to Joburg at rock bottom price I figured it was a sign that I should go once more and find some big animals to look at for a bit of time. Hence I got the ticket without much of an idea of where and how to get around - but then again South Africa isn’t really Africa it’s a much more organized place than the rest of Africa so getting around should be straightforward - unless of course you are getting shot down during a mocking or something like that.

I get to Joburg after a long night of amazing sleep on an airplane - like usual. I can almost keep my eyes open by now. The immigrations are fairly fast - I still remember my crossing of immigrations the first time I flew into Joburg several years ago.

Sabie Falls
Back then my plane was extremely late and arrived late at night - after all of the people manning the passport controls had gone home. Hence immigration took, hours back then. So I am a little nervous about how much time I will have to spend crossing immigration. But in reality I should not worry it goes pretty smoothly because people are actually at work today.

I get my backs and go try finding the car rental to pick up my rented car - I wanted to rent a tank - I mean it is crime infested South Africa we are talking about one of the few country in the world where it is specified it is ok to run a red light if you are in reasonable fear of your own life - I think this is really kind of them so you don't have to make a calculation to consider whether or not you can afford to pay the traffic fine before you decide to head for safety - unfortunately they were all out of tanks. They did not have any cars with armor plating and bullet probe windows either. At the very least I expect the lady at the car rental will start telling me how I should behave in case I should get into a carjacking incidence - but she doesn’t. In fact my visit to the car rental in Joburg airport went pretty much like it would at all car rental agencies in the world.

I find my way to the highway and of I go.

Sabie Falls - slow shotter speed
Traffic is fairly light for a Saturday and I keep going east towards Graskop.

The landscape around the highway is dry and pretty flat. And it stays this way for hours without many trees around. Then as I get closer to my destination the landscape change getting a bit being more mountainous with more trees and lots and lots of hills which the engine in my car is complaining a bit about. It doesn’t like going uphill with the speed I would prefer.

I get to a small town of Sabie and there I make a short stop going for a little waterfall. It is not much to look at but there is a bit of water falling down into a small canyon. There are bridges crossing the small creek with flowing water - they don’t look to stable. The wood making the footbridge is broken and in one of the bridges most of the wooden boards are just gone. But I manage to get across and have a little look around the area.

My second waterfall stop for the day is the bigger MacMac Falls.

Macmac Falls
The waterfall is about 70 meters high falling down into a canyon. The water is flowing pretty fast considering this is the dry season without any rain. I get down and have a quick look at the water fall and then I go back up again passing through the traditional African market selling all kind of hand carved animals and other African souvenirs.

I head out of the waterfall area and realize it’s probably about time I find somewhere to sleep for the night - I am getting exhorted by now and driving much further could involve some problems with safety.

yheleen says:
South Africe - oh when oh when? ;)
Posted on: Dec 10, 2009
andiboi says:
congratz Mickey
Posted on: Jun 12, 2009
Vlindeke says:
Congrats on your feature!
Posted on: Jun 12, 2009