AsiaTaiwanTaipei

Solar Eclipse in Asia

Taipei Travel Blog

I am so far behind on getting stuff posted!!!  Arrrrrggghhh!  In any case, July 22nd brought a total solar eclipse to Asia.  The best viewing areas were said to be in eastern China, Japan, India, and Nepal, but we ended up getting a pretty good view of it here in Taipei!  We were not sure how visible it would be from our apartment given the cloudy day but that actually worked in our favor so we could actually see the eclipse without going blind.

The eclipse was the longest one during the 21st century, not to be surpassed again until 2132!  It listed over 6 minutes! We did not get a total eclipse in Taiwan, just about 85% but it was amazing.  Brett ended up going into work late so he could stay home with me and watch it.  So amazing!!

Towards the end of the eclipse, I saw a few of our neighbors finally emerging from their apartments to watch the eclipse.  A number of them were taking photos, even a couple of girls who were trying to have their pictures taken with the eclipse in the background.  Now why didn't we think of that! LOL

27,099 km (16,839 miles) traveled