Working hard

Gloucester Travel Blog

Blue Tong Lizard, found in the tipi

It's been a while since my last post. I'm still working for BOAC.
The first week was great and the last week was awesome. The weeks in between weren't that good. Partly because I had problems with my boss (I'm not going in details here, just ask me if you like to know) and partly because of personal issues...
The weather had been bad here and that meant the water level was extremely high. I had to go on the river, water level 3. This in not extreme, but enough to be killed in if you're unlucky. Totally unexpected I felt so unhappy and scared. The raft accident I had last year in Nepal came back to mind. I was really close to drowning in that accident and now I found out that it's still fucking with my head when I'm in white water. I had to go on the water for a few days and the feeling became stronger and stronger.

I really wanted to quit my job. I can't work on that water level and I had to. Unfortunately my boss didn't understand my feelings and pushed me to go on. I tried to fight the feelings and win this battle in my head. But I can't. I decided that it's not bad to be afraid of some thing, especially not of some thing you don't have to do to stay alive. So I made up my mind and told myself that I don't have to go on the white water if I don't want to. I haven't told my boss yet, because at the moment the water level is really low because of a heatwave!

The weather goes from extreme to extreme here. We had a few weeks with lots and lots of rain, and now we have days with temperatures above the 40C/104F. This is Australia.
Unfortunately both weather types make it impossible to sleep in the tipi.
So the last few weeks I'm sleeping in my car.

Last week I worked as a headinstructor. I went out camping for three days with a girls school. Had an awesome time. The first morning we woke up at 6am and the second morning at 5am. Girls need some time to wake up and clean up the campsite and program starts early. When I worked in Belgium I had a hard time waking up at 8am and now 6am or 7am is a normal time and I'm totally fine with that. Never knew that I could be a morning person. The other side is that we go to bed early, before 10pm. Last Friday was the day we woke up at 5am, watched a beautiful sun rise and at night we went to the pub. By 11pm I fell asleep in my chair...
Next two weeks I'll be camping out in the bush again. Hope that those school kids are just as much fun as last week kids.

Here in Gloucester is nothing, nothing, nothing to do. There are two pubs, but even in the weekend they close early. Not later than midnight! So it's a bit boring here.

I'm more than 2 months in Australia already. Have seen heaps of living kangaroos! Finally! Only a few snakes, red belly blacks. They are pretty dangerous, but they run off as soon as they notice people. Lots of spiders. Not extremely big ones yet. But big enough to make me jump. Most common big spider in this area is the Huntsman. Locals love them, because they keep other spiders out, especially the really dangerous Funnelweb. Haven't seen this fellow yet. I had a big Huntsman in the shower and had to get one of the boys to get it out the shower. I don't even dare to catch them...  This is Australia...

ik-ben-10eke says:
Gefeliciteerd met je plekkie op de voorpagina. Hou vol, dit avontuur neemt niemand je af!
Posted on: Nov 27, 2009
Koralifix says:
Congrats on today's feature! Very nice blog, well-deserved!
Posted on: Nov 27, 2009