Preparing my trip

Amersfoort Travel Blog

A dream coming true: my trip to Australia! 15th of September 2009 I'm flying to London-Singapore-Sydney. The 16th I'll touch ground in Australia. For eleven months Australia will be my home. The plan is to work four months for an adventure sport company and travel around for seven months.  At the moment I'm having three jobs (fitness instructor, adventure sport instructor and mail delivering) to save enough money for my stay and a car.

March 14th, a half year before my planned departure, I bought my flight ticket for a really reasonable price (1200 euros for a year ticket). Last week, June 5th, I started my online visa application. At the end I was required to under go a Chest X-Ray. I was really surprised and wondered how to work it out. I contacted the Australian Immigration Department and Activity International (A Dutch Tour Operator which offers different travel services) and they helped me out very well.
I found out that the x-ray needed to be done by a doctor/radiologist who is choosen by the Australian government, the panel doctors and panel radiologists. There are a few like these in the Netherlands and I went to one in Utrecht, home of the GGD/Tuberculosis Dienst. I had to fill in some papers, did the chest x-ray and discussed the results with the panel radiologist. Every thing was fine and it was pretty cool to see my lungs and some other details of my body. The results had to be send to the Australian Embassy in Berlin. So it will take a few days before they get it and than it will take a few weeks to complete my application... Hope it will work out fine!
I had to under go this chest x-ray because I lived in the Caribbean and Africa for more than three months in the past five years.

I'm believing every thing will be oke with my visa application, so next week I start with sending open applications to adventure sport companies. I'm an adventure sport instructor, so I take people out mountain biking, rock climbing, rappelling, hiking, and stuff like that. If you know any good companies, I like to know them! Any help and tips are more than welcome :-)

Wish me luck ;-)

Petra2111 says:
Super blog Maike!! Heel veel plezier nog in Australiƫ!!!
Posted on: Mar 31, 2010