Tuesday

Sonoma Travel Blog

Mimi's Cafe

Today was another great day on trip back to the future. It started off with a great breakfast and great conversation with Jason a preacher from the North Metro Church of Christ here in Sacramento. Jason took me to Mimi’s Café. Man, it was good, but the conversation was even better. We had the chance to swap preacher stories, which are a little something like fishing stories; who caught the biggest one, you know. I was good to just hang out with him. We would find our way back to the church building where I will preach this Sunday and shoot the breeze for a short while before I headed out to Napa.

I decided to detour from my journey to Oregon and visit one of my friends who works for a winery in Napa, CA.

Sonoma City Hall

I made my first stop in the area the Sonoma Plaza in the heart of Sonoma. It was a nice time walking around looking into shop windows and watch the people scurry about. In the middle of the plaza sits City Hall. A historic old building. Today, they were setting up for music and food on the plaza. This was one of those events where you could bring your own wine and enjoy it with friends and family. No open liquer laws here. Great little place to enjoy.

Ravenswood winery sits off one of the long winding roads in the Sonoma wine region. I wasn’t sure if I had made the right decision to go out of my way for a few sips of wine that I have really enjoyed in the past. Well, I am sure glad I did. While at the winery tasting my fine Zinfandels as well as a very good Moscato, I met a couple of guys from Kentucky.

Me and my new friends from Kentucky
These tow guys were a hoot. They had decided to travel across the country rock climbing. I know, sounds pretty exciting. These guys, one named Nate and the other who was just married about 9 moths ago, left their jobs and families and were just traveling across America with the idea of going to Canada. They already had some great stories from the trip that they were willing to share including a stop in Las Vegas.

I was just intrigued by these guys. I wish I had the guts, discipline or even the will to travel like that. They had tents and stayed at camp grounds as well as even sleeping in their mini van. They also had their bikes on top of the car to explore even deeper into woods and all. We talked for a good while and my friend Cathleen invited us to stay for a private barrel tasting.

Bartholomew Park
We enjoyed all the new wine. Phil was the tour guide who journeyed us into the back of the winery where few get to venture. We all enjoyed our time there and we needed to head to our next stop. Phil gave us an invitation to taste over at Gundlach Bundshu winery. There we met Tito. This guy was hoot. He poured us some pretty good wines including 2006 Tempranillo, a 2006 Syrah and maybe my favorite, a 2006 Zinfandel. He really gave some great info along with the great wine. You can read my review on this place.

We were also given a pass to another winery and we all loaded up and headed that way. The next and final stop on our short tour was at the Bartholomew Park Winery. This was a nice small place that houses a museum next to the tasting room. The ladies pouring the wine were very nice to everyone there. They explained a lot about their wines as well as the property which was once a hospital.

Holiday Inn Express, American Canyon
The wine was pretty good. The one that stuck out was their merlot only because I am not a big fan of merlot, but it was actually very very good. This would be the last of the wine tasting for the evening as well as the last time I would see my two new friends. They, too are headed to Oregon, who knows, maybe our paths will cross again soon. Until then, I wish them all the best and I am off to my hotel.

I found my hotel easily enough. The Holiday Inn Express is really y favorite chain of hotels. They are not expensive and they are always clean, serve a great free breakfast and I accumulate those all important free future stays. This location is great as well. I will have a review posted on it as well. I found a great little place to eat next door to the hotel called Ono Hawaiian BBQ. It was great. When I finished eating, I returned back to the room and immediately went to the internet to find the song, “somewhere over the rainbow” by Israel Kamkawakiwo, I am not sure of the spelling, but that really was a great treat after the BBQ.

Well, it is off to the hot tub for a few minutes to unwind.

Mimis Cafe
Mimi's Cafe
Bartholomew Park
Holiday Inn Express, American Cany…
Holiday Inn Express, American Can…
Me enjoying the day
Me enjoying the day
The vinyards of Sonoma
The vinyards of Sonoma
Ravenswood
Ravenswood
Interesting: The old and the new i…
Interesting: The old and the new …
Downtown Sonoma Plaza
Wine on the Plaza
Shops on the Plaza
Shops on the Plaza
No Wimpy Wines
This is a great place that boast, “No Wimpy Wines” I guess as long as the winery has been here or maybe for as long as anybody cares to remembe… read entire review
Breaking Traditions
This was a nice, kind of off the beatin’ path winery. Here we meet Tito, the man behind the wine tasting bar. He was not only a character, but also … read entire review
Wine in the hospital
This is a very young winery that was founded in 1994. The vision was to produce handcrafted, site-specific wines. Bartholomew Park's 37-acre Estate V… read entire review
Sonoma