Just havin a good time

Sacramento Travel Blog

Old Sugar Mill

My short little journey to Sacramento has been better than I thought. I had the chance to spend time with my family, friends and even with some strangers.

The trip began with a simple trip to one of my favorite little fish and chip joints called Tugboat. Each time I visit the area, I have to go here at least once. I am never disappointed. I also had a chance to see my 2nd brother and his family. They were heading out for a 7 days cruise to Jamaica. I know they will have a good time. They have been deemed the “cruising” bunch of the family.

Old Sugar Mill
I think I may get a pretty good gift out of the deal.

I also got to hang out with my 3rd brother and his family. Mike and I are probably the closet of all the 6 kids. We both share a deep and passionate love for Christ and His church. We cooked some pretty good meals while here including some grilled salmon from Raley’s supermarket. I also got to visit and stay the night with my little brother who bought a nice new house north of town. The big joke is that he has snakes around his house. He lives near a field and a ditch which the snakes seem to love. He has all this snake away stuff all around his house. It is quite amusing. Dad’s house is where I stay the majority of my time. The joke is that he has all of this food from a place called the Gleeners. The gleeners get all of the damaged and out of date food from local grocery stores. The food is good, but everyone thinks it’s pretty funny that my dad would volunteer at a place like things and bring all this food home.

Dinky Diner
He has freezers full of meat, cabinets full of can foods and just loads of other household products scattered throughout the home. I guess you just have to know him to know why this is so funny.

Erin made a suggestion that I go and visit a winery over in the city of Clarksburg. The sugar mill was a great place. It actually houses more than one winery and can be used as wedding venue or special events hall. It was a good time interacting with Erin’s friends Todd and his wife Maria. They made me feel very welcome and even gave me an Erin’s so special discount. It is nice to know people who have people. I told them that I was a little hungry and Maria suggested that I eat a little place along the river call the Dinky Dinner. I thought that sounded cool, so I headed towards it and actually passed it because it was so dinky. I made it back around to enjoy a wonderful hamburger and some pretty good fries. I guess my review will follow.

After a great afternoon of hanging and visiting with the locals, I made my way back to Sacramento. This time the drive back was a bit different. I felt like I was thrust back into a different time. That time seemed to be the future. I remembered a lot of the street names, but the places on those streets had changed. I remembered some of the building, but the streets had change. Ironic, I know. The city was now running light rail all over town, the medians were full of flowers and the side of the roads were well manicured. It seemed as though the people were in a big hurry, maybe like I was for so long. I decided to slow down even more. I did and even captured some wonderful scents like that of the fresh bread being made at the Wonder Bread factory. Wow. What flood of memories that brought back to me.

Sacramento