Cascais Travel Blog

Sunny Cascais with it's stretches of beaches and it's pretty little town was the perfect way to spend a lazy day in Portugal. Eating looking out over the harbour and marina, a cool breeze blowing and matchless blue skies stretching overhead, I couldn't help but relax and start smiling easily. The only problem was the continuous stream of people trying to sell you bits and pieces, like bracelets, necklaces, sunglasses, tissues, gum, statuettes, the list goes on! However, a polite but firm nod usually sent them smilingly on their way, and didn't detract from the relaxed atmosphere.

Down in the sand, ridiculously fit people lounged around soaking up the rays, but it's all very casual and not intimidating. The water is CHILLY, but the warm sun usually made it a relief, and I felt so refreshed after a dip that I had to go in for seconds.
...thirds...fourths...the sand is also amazingly fine and I had to keep scrunching my toes in it for the pleasure of the feeling (very good for exfoliation of the feet too).

We spent most of our day on the beach, and then made the easy seaside stroll down to Estoril, the next town along. The walk is really easy, and there are plenty of cafes and bars along the way to stop and enjoy a drink whilst soaking in all the shades of blue. One nifty thing we came across was a swimming pool connected to the sea - although the waters around were fairly wave-less anyway, still seemed like a nice idea for a real seaside resort experience!

The end of the day saw us pigging out once again on piri-piri chicken (so good!), and finally waddling back to the train station for a quick post-dinner nap on the 40 minute journey back to Lisbon.
photo by: Jeroenadmiraal