Wow! Look at those lines!

Dunalley Travel Blog

Lines in the sand

I was making my way to Port Arthur on the southern tip of the Tasman Peninsula. I had decided to go back for a second visit. It had been nearly 10 years to the day that I was there last. The last time I visited was just after the two-year anniversary of Australia’s worst massacre and Port Arthur had a very sombre feel to it. At the time, I didn’t know if the feeling I felt was due to the convict history or the terrible events that happened there in April 2006 or a combination of the two. I really didn’t remember much about my first visit to Port Arthur other than the feeling I had when I was there. It was a heavy feeling, but I didn’t realise just how heavy until I was driving out and the feeling lifted. I felt like I could breathe again. I do remember thinking what a pretty place it was though, and the prettiness was one of the reasons I wanted to go back. I wanted to have different memories of the place other than the horribleness I felt.

I will talk more about Port Arthur later in my blog because I still need to get there. :)

My day didn’t start as early as it normally would when I know I am going for a day trip, because when I went to bed I still wasn’t sure if I really wanted to go, so I decided to wait until I woke up to see how I was feeling.

Once I was a wake and had had some breakfast I decided I would go, so I packed up my day pack, filled up my water bottle, made sure I had my camera and left. I had a rough idea of things I wanted to see and do on the way but no fixed plans, I wasn’t even sure if I would make it all the way to Port Arthur or not. I was just going to let the road guide me.

The first stop I made was on the side of the road when I was driving past Dunalley Bay. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the lines in the sand made by the receding water in the Bay, so these few shots are of Dunalley Bay.

I have decided to put the photo under their correct location so you will just have to bear with me, as I will have a few different additions to this blog.

Next stop, Pirate’s Bay Lookout...

Sweetski says:
Thanks for stopping... GREAT photos! :)

I hope you do get to Port Arthur and that your spirit will be light, but I guess I just have to keep reeding to find out :D
Posted on: Jun 25, 2009
petit_gooroo says:
Congratulations for being featured!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2009
Lord_Mike says:
I heard the title to this blog yesterday, and thought...I shall see this on a feature soon! Congratulations, Elke!!!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2009
See what I mean!
See what I mean!
Last shot before jumping back in t…
Last shot before jumping back in …
photo by: Sunflower300