Curvy road ahead!

Giens Travel Blog

Snow! In late June!
There are several options to drive down to Southern France from Germany.
1. Take Autoroute (Autobahn in Germany) and just drive down there.
2. Take Route Nationale (Bundesstrasse in Germany) and take your time.
3. Take country roads (Landstrasse in Germany) and enjoy your ride.

1. Is ok if you're in a hurry and you don't care to pay 50-60 Euros toll.
2. Route National are very good roads, cost no toll, in many cases good alternative to Autoroute
3. The journey is your reward - if you travel by bike, this is the way to go.

As a biker, you'd most likely pick No. 3. So did we.
Our base was Lake Constance, where we stayed at our friends place for two nights. It's the perfect starting point for a trip to France or Italy.
Although this would have been the shortest route, we didn't want to cross the whole state of Switzerland to get to France, because 80km/h speedlimit really sucks and the fines for speeding are exorbitantly high.
Nice curvy roads up there!

So we decided to go Italy as fast as possible and hit the swiss alps. The alps are biker's paradise! Sooo many nice curvy roads! And the weather was perfect this day, too. We stopped for lunch in St. Moritz, then went on to Lago di Como in Italy, then headed to Lago Maggiore.
Driving there wasn't so much fun. One village after the other, 60km/h speedlimit most of the time, millions of cars and scooters, and a lot of Carabinieri with radar guns...

We stayed for the night at a nice hotel near Lago Maggiore. We were so tired this evening, that we didn't even go to see the lake! Yes, it's true, I was at Lago Maggiore, and I still haven't seen it yet haha!
The next day we decided to drive on the Autostrada (which is toll road like in France) because country roads are really annoying in Italy.
My good old Honda Fireblade *sigh*
Drove two or three hours on Autostrada, then went on country road again to get back to France. A few kilometers before the border, we had very delicious Pizza at a tiny restaurant. One of the finest Pizza's I've had in my life so far!
After driving one or two hours on some very beautiful country roads, we finally arrived in Monaco, where we drove on the Formula 1 race course with our bikes. Maybe not as fast as the race drivers, but it was a very nice experience anyway. Those Formula 1 race drivers are just crazy! Monaco is such a tiny and small village, and those maniacs drive 250km/h in there!
After two or three more hours of driving on Autoroute, we finally arrived at the campground in Giens. We were sooo tired, hungry and thirsty and all sweaty!
Thank god there were a couple of cold beers waiting for us!
Nice curvy road in some canyon
Nice curvy road in some canyon
Two tired bikers
Two tired bikers
Some place in the hills of Souther…
Some place in the hills of Southe…
Can you read the sign?