good times and bad times in Namur

Namur Travel Blog

On Tuesday, Annette went back to Amsterdam, and the rest of us moved on to Namur. Even though we had thoroughly enjoyed Bouillon, Sarah, Steve and I were thrilled to be back in a city with internetcaf�s (civilization !), shops, traffic (but no taxis, we learned that night), night-life and all that. A city the size of Deurne (Antwerp�s largest suburb), but nontheless the capital of Wallonia. And what would a capital city be without ripp-offs ? DO NOT EAT AT THE FIRST CHIP SHOP YOU ENCOUNTER AFTER CROSSING THE BRIDGE THAT GOES PAST THE ARCHEOLOGICAL MUSEUM FROM THE CITADEL SIDE OF THE SAMBER ! �cuz they will scam you big time ! I had payed for about 5 � worth of food with a 50 � note (of which I am 100% sure, because that was all I had in my wallet, and I had been thinking I needed to break it all day), but they only gave me back change for 10 �, which thay claimed was what I gave them, and there is no way I could prove otherwise, unless the police would�ve agreed on fingerprinting the notes, but I don�t think they would have so I didn�t bother and just demanded � my � 10 � back and we went to eat elsewhere. 40 � down the drain ! Maybe in the future I should mark my banknotes ? But let�s not have this unpleasant experience ruin the image of Namur : it�s overall a pleasant place with a pretty old town, an impressive citadel (at least seen from below, it was a bit disappointing when we got up there, as most of it seemed to be closed for reconstruction), about a dozen museums, lots of pubs and restaurants, and good public transport during the day.

Namur